Lore: A History of Crystals

Early history:

As long as the human race has existed, we have had an affinity with stones and crystals. These are treasures from the earth and they are not only objects of great beauty, but are also storehouses of powerful energies. These stones have a great value in natural magic. Created in the darkness of the earth, sparkling crystals are potent symbols of spiritual illumination, purity and durability.

Archaeologists have discovered in graves and barrows excavated in Europe, the Middle East, Russia, and Africa beads, carvings, and jewelry of amber, jet, turquoise, lapis, garnet, carnelian, quartz, and other stones. It is believed that the carvings were probably amulets and talismans, used for protection and as reminders of religious rites. Some of the discovered stones were carved in the shape of various animals, and were probably symbols of particular totems. Others were necklaces and other items of adornment.The value given to crystals in these various cultures is indicated by their presence in the graves; they were intended to go with the departed soul to help them in the next life.

There are  historical references to the use of crystals come from the Ancient Sumerians (4th millennium BC), who included crystals in magic formulas. Crystals were (and are) also used for healing in traditional Chinese Medicine, which dates back to at least 5000 years.

The word "crystal" is derived from the Greek krustallos, meaning ice, and to the ancient Greeks, all quartz crystals were believed to be fragments that had fallen fro the perfect crystal of truth that resided on Mount Olympus, home to the gods which were used as a source for other lapidaries until at least the Renaissance, classified rocks and gems based on their behavior when heated, grouping minerals by common properties, such as amber and magnetite, which both have the power of attraction.

Gemstones have a long magical tradition, too. For instance, wearing emeralds was said to give protection against poison and negative spirits, while rubies helped those gifted with psychic powers to see into the future.

For more information on what meaning various stones have, stay tuned for next week's lesson.