Escape

6 months. It had been 6 months since I had left the Emerald kingdom to return home. The rose Edric had given me had turned an ugly brown but I kept it on me always, running my fingers over the petals to remind myself of the beautiful kingdom I had left, the beautiful boy I had left.

I walked back to my room after a completely draining and unimportant meeting. I didn't understand half the things they said and zoned out for the other half, only adding a small "uh huh" here and there or simply nodding my head.

Nobody needed my input on any decision that was to be made, I was useless. As I walking back to my room I sighed, can't believe I ever even missed this place, it's about as welcoming as a rock.

I brought a hand up to my cheek and felt around my eye. For the first few days I had been home I never stopped crying, I couldn't walk out of my room without bursting into tears and collapsing against my door.

The only one who ever really realized was Darius. He had some weird promotion after my uncle died so he got to live in the castle and assisted me a lot, and I mean a lot. Sometimes on really bad days he would attempt to comfort me, others he would drag me out of bed. Either way it helped.

I concluded that I was in fact not crying so I dropped my hand to open my door. Since I became King my security had raised.

Nobody really wanted to look after me, seeing as it was basically babysitting I was given a few extra locks on my door and a sword for protection that I was instructed to wear at all times strapped against my back.

I finished locking the door and threw my sword against the cold floor, cringing at the loud clattering sound it made. Flapjack's head shot up and he chirped to greet me.

I didn't feel like waisting energy to raise my lips so I gave him a pat on the head. My legs gave out and I fell backwards against my giant bed. I took the rose out and laid it carefully beside me before rolling back over and engulfing myself in the soft sheets.

"I can't do this anymore" I muttered defeatedly. Those were probably the first words I had said all week. The soft stream of tears started flowing down my cheeks to edges of my mouth, the salty liquid coating my lips.

"I can't do this anymore" I said, louder. It was mainly to myself, but to the universe too. How dare they separate me from the only people who actually cared.

I got up and started recklessly throwing things into a large bag, laughing quietly as I did so. Is this it? Did I finally go insane? My mind pondered while I was almost finished packing, if you could call it packing. My laugh had gotten louder and the stream of tears only increased.

It felt like I wasn't in my body anymore, It felt as if I was looking at myself. Two voices were yelling, trying to tell me what to do. I sat with my head in my hands, desperately trying to find the voice that sounded at least somewhat sane.

My laugh was gone when I could finally think normally. I wiped the remaining tears off with my shirt and threw the bag over my shoulder.

I hadn't been paying any attention to what I had been packing so my sword could very well be puncturing all my clothes but I couldn't care less, I just needed to be out of this hellhole.

I grabbed Flapjack as gently as I could in my hysterical state and lifted him on my free shoulder. I walked down the hallway until I reached a very familiar door.

I pounded my fist against it, "Darius Deamonne!" I screamed. The purple haired man opened the door with a scowl, he was still in his uniform but his hair was loose. "What do you want, your majesty?" He said annoyed, the "your majesty" was clearly sarcastic but I didn't comment on it.

"Everyone needs to think I'm dead and you need to be King" I stated plainly. He stared at me as if he expected a different expression but I deadpanned. "Are you insane?" He questioned, sounding quite genuine.

I shook my head, "only a little crazy, and I'm serious. I have to fake my death and you get to be King for me.". He pinched the bridge of his nose, "and how will you fake this death of yours?"

I glanced at my boots, "I was kinda hoping you could just tell people I died". He raised his eyebrows, "with no body? Everyone would accuse me in a heartbeat.". I groaned, "just tell them I ran away, preferably into the woods, tell them I'm going south."

"Alright finally, how do you suppose I become King? I'm not apart of your family's line and only the blood of a Wittebane is supposed to rule" he asked. "Yeah well technically a Wittebane is supposed to be 18 but desperate times call for desperate measures. I'll just leave it in my will or something" I shot back.

After a long pause Darius sighed, "fine, just at least tell me where you're going.". I smiled sheepishly, "I'm going home" I turned on my heel and sprinted towards the exit of the castle.

The green grass had died and was now dusted with frost, the air had gotten so cold you could now see it when you breathed. A few people did double takes when I strolled by but for the main part people didn't notice me, that worked in my favor quite a lot.

People were now not trying to conceal their magic. Many fires were lit which I assumed weren't made with just sticks. I was very happy about that, I'd definitely rather people use magic than freeze.

I walked so far I was at the edge of the woods now, I turned back and gave a small wave to the kingdom I had grown up in, and then I plunged into the forest.

I counted the nights as I went, around four had passed by the time I had made it to the Emerald kingdom, and without a map I'd say I did pretty well. The only thing I could really do during my trip was talk with Flapjack, those were just one sided conversations unfortunately.

I used my sword to slice through I thick patch of leaves and that's when I saw it. I approached the market timidly, trying to spot anything I could recognize, and I did.

I confirmed it in my mind, this is the Emerald Kingdom. I pulled my hood over my head and booked it towards the castle.

I walked around the side until I found it, I found his window. I used a plant glyph and lifted myself up. I knocked on his window lightly with the back of my hand.

The window got lifted up and there he was, Edric Blight. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair was messed up but I couldn't care less, all I could care about was the fact that he was right in front of me.

"I missed you, Blight"