meanwhile, a few feet in front, eddie was being questioned by steve about a similar topic.

"when are you going to make a move on tillie?" steve asked.

"why should i in the first place?" eddie replied, trying to shrug off his feelings but steve saw right through him. the boy sighed, "i'll make a move when i figure out how."

"oh, come on, do you know who you're talking to? i'm an expert in the art of getting ladies," steve responded with a scoff. "just go up to her, grab her, and kiss her, man. it's that easy."

"yeah, sounds easy to you," eddie nodded. "but listen, there's aspects of this you don't know about. i can't just grab her and slam my lips into hers. i know some girls would like that, but mattie wouldn't."

steve furrowed his brows. "what do you mean?"

"nothing," eddie shook him off. "i just.. need a slower approach with her. i can't be super pushy like that."

"i can't really help you then, man," steve responded. "all my relationships are hot and steamy, you know? they move quick. not slow-burn and cheesy like yours."

"maybe that's why you don't have a girlfriend.."

"shut up," steve glared at him. "i'm trying to offer you some real advice here, man to man."

"thanks, though," eddie said. "i'm not taking any of it, but i appreciate it."

steve rolled his eyes, before turning serious. "just don't hurt her, okay? she doesn't deserve that. oh, and, some advice you should take, don't mess up her favorite pair of shoes. it really ruins the vibe.."

- 📻🪐🏹 -

MARCH 26TH, 1986
📍lover's lake
20:34 PM

finally, after hours of hiking through the woods, they managed to find the location the compass had been leading them to.

"dustin? can you slow down? dustin?" eddie hollered, as the curly haired boy ran in front.

"i think we're getting close," he replied, only to be pulled back by eddie, who stopped him from falling into a large body of water.

"watch your step, big guy," eddie told him.

"isn't this lovers lake?" matilda asked.

"you gotta be shitting me," steve sighed.

"i thought these woods were familiar," eddie remarked.

"this is confounding," dustin stated in disbelief.

"there's a gate in lovers lake?" max said.

"whenever the demogorgon attacked," nancy started. "it always left an opening. maybe vecna's the same way."

"yeah, only one way to find out," steve replied.

"mattie, do you remember where we left the boat?" eddie asked, using a flashlight to help him scan the area.

"um," tillie hummed, thinking as she too looked around. "that's it, right?" she pointed to the wooden boat floating near the shore a few meters away.