026.

MARCH 13TH, 1986
📍cunningham house
08:02 AM

walking down the stairs with her car keys in her hand and her backpack on her shoulders, matilda entered the kitchen, seeing her mother and twin sitting at the table.

chrissy was eating a few slices of orange, whilst their mother was enjoying a large plate of eggs on toast.

"good morning," tillie stated, grabbing a glass and pouring herself some water.

"morning, tils," chrissy replied softly.

"matilda," samantha sighed loudly, making the young girl turn around to face her. "it is three weeks today until the chaplin's charity event. have you even attempted to lose weight to fit into your dress?"

"of course i have," matilda answered.

"don't lie," samantha snapped. "you look as big as always."

"mother, i am trying, i swear—"

"both of you," samantha started, standing up. "out of my house now. i can't stand to look at you pigs any longer."

sighing, matilda emptied her glass into the sink and began heading out, chrissy following close behind her.

once they'd reached tillie's car and were belted in, matilda turned to her younger sister. "you okay?"

"fine," chrissy said, but her expression was glum.

"just think, chris," tillie started. "a couple more months before we go to college, and leave this goddamn hellhole."

"you haven't even got your college acceptance letter yet," chrissy reminded her.

"yeah, well, it will come. and, even if i don't get in, you best believe i'm still getting out of this shitty little town."

📻🪐🏹

MARCH 13TH, 1986
📍hawkins high school
11:01 AM

"good morning, good morning," mr dorton welcomed his students into his class. "i hope we're all excited to show me what you and your partners have been working on.."

tillie smiled, entering the classroom. she felt someone put their arm around her shoulder and pull her close, making her squeal. "you excited to show what we've been working on, princess?"

"ecstatic," tillie grinned, moving away from his grip so she could sit down. "you excited to sue me dorton if we don't get an a?"

"ecstatic," eddie said, taking a seat beside her.

"okay, okay, settle down please," mr dorton hollered. "okay, so, today is obviously the due date for the assignment i gave you last month. what we're going to do, instead of you all coming to the front and presenting your work, is i'm going to put a video on the projector, and then come around and talk to each pair quietly. the video does relate to the topic we've been studying, and i don't want to here anyone talking unless you are talking to me, okay?"

the class seemed to nod in understanding and mr dorton began playing the film and headed to the first pair of partners.

"boring," eddie whispered, shuffling closer in his seat to tillie, who nodded in agreement.