Unchangeable Destiny

Kampilia greeted the Pandavas with the noise of many voices, festive flags and fuss, people scurrying around like ants around an overturned tray of food: businesslike and purposeful. Drupada did not stint on Swayamvar, Yudhishthira appreciated the scope of the upcoming holiday. Even though Drupada now owned only half of the Panchal, it is true that he was indeed proud of his daughter.

Kampilya also met the sons of Pandu with familiar faces, and a couple of times when they had to face the royal chariots, Yudhishthira was seized by a lingering, restless premonition. Do you recognize me or my brothers, he asked mentally each time, without taking his eyes off the next king or prince. They were not recognized, and Yudhishthira wondered what that meant.

Maybe he came to Kampilya just to make sure that life goes on without the Pandava princes, and no one will notice their absence, just as a snake does not notice one fallen scale? But as soon as he thought about it, the words of Vedavyasa again came to his mind:

one whose life purpose is prayer and austerity is not born into a royal family.

-“Today I saw Prince Kashi, he was even louder from our last meeting,” Nakula said, when they gathered for dinner near the hearth. “But Bhima's brother will still easily win the eating contest against him.”

- Hey! Are you saying I'm fat and clumsy like an old boar?!

Nakula folded his hands in repentance,

“I didn’t say anything like that at all, Brother Bhima. But even if you think...

- Now I'll show you how clumsy I am!

They were brought in, and Arjuna deftly pulled off the last half of the laddu from the sheet of Bhima. Kunti shook her head reproachfully, Arjuna looked down guiltily with a silly smile, though he did not forget to put the delicacy into his mouth.

-“He ate heartily today in the Shiva temple. Princess Draupadi used to come there to perform puja and the brahmins were given refreshments."

– "Have you seen the princess?" Nakula immediately jumped up from Bhima's armpit.

A dreamy smile appeared on Arjuna's face, which Yudhishthira had only noticed before at the sight of a new bow.

- I have seen. She is extraordinarily beautiful. Like... like the brightest flower in the garden, like a golden arrow forged from the rays of the sun. Whoever wins her hand will have to carry the princess in his arms for the rest of his life and keep her feet from touching the ground.

Amazed at his brother's unexpected poetry, Yudhishthira stared at him with raised eyebrows, while Nakula and Sahadeva exchanged expressive glances. Arjuna continued to smile, looking into the fire and clearly seeing something of his own there, probably the features of Draupadi, who emerged from the same flame.

-“That’s what he told me about the rest of the way,” Bhima said, annoyingly poking his finger at his empty sheet.

- And because of this, we almost caught the eye of the elder-senior.

– Karna? Have you seen Karna? Kunti leaned forward, digging her fingers into the hem of her robe.

Yudhishthira also tensed, again feeling the approach of the coming fire, into which his fate seemed to be leading.

Karna. The elder brother, for whom he had already fought with Duryodhana.

Who challenged them in Anga and was probably still waiting for an answer, not believing that the Pandava princes could retreat from the battlefield.

- Yes. He entered the city with Duryodhana. And our cart almost got stuck right under their noses, because someone,” Bhima poked Arjun on the shoulder, “dreamed of beauties and did not look at the road. But, well, Karna helped us and we managed to get away - fortunately for Duryodhana, because if we collided, I would certainly have killed him.”