Like Father Like Son

The return of the princes turned out to be joyful, despite the fact that the enmity between Pandavas and Kauravs  only deepened, and Uncle Dhritarashtra was clearly upset at the outcome of the war. But they were sincerely congratulated by grandfather Bhishma and uncle Vidura, and a happy mother was waiting for them. Not to mention small things like fragrant baths and a big mountain of laddu for Bhima.

They settled around the mother, and fought with each other to tell her about how they managed to defeat King Drupada with their own opinions. Beaming with pride, Arjuna showed them the five stones sent by Brother Krishna and was slapped on the back of the head by Bhima for not telling them earlier.

“It’s just that Bhima is jealous of the fact that a beautiful girl gives you gifts, but not to him,” Nakula said with a laugh and also received his portion of strong brotherly love.

Everything was fine until Yudhishthira cautiously asked his mother:

– And what about our... another brother.

The smile faded from her face like a clouded sun. Everyone was silent.

“Sorry son, I don’t know. He... We haven't spoken since you left. Karna does not let anyone near him, and only with Vidura did they talk every day.”

The uncle must have taken Yudhishthira's advice and set about training a king who was never prepared to take over the kingdom.

“If of all the people in the palace, only Duryodhana turned out to be to his taste, then our brother has bad taste,” Nakula muttered, and Arjuna smiled at his mother and hugged her.

Then the conversation moved away from the unpleasant topic, and the next day Yudhishthira came to Vidura.

His uncle greeted him cordially, congratulated him once more, and made him sit down to drink a fragrant herbal concoction with spices, candied peaches, and the invariable laddu. Their conversation flowed slowly and pleasantly. Vidura recounted innocuous palace news regarding several new decrees from Dhritarashtra, which Yudhishthira considered very sound. They did not touch upon the upcoming choice of an heir and the unrest associated with it, for which Yudhishthira was deeply grateful.

Finally, seizing the right moment, Yudhishthira subtly mentioned the rumors that his uncle was teaching Anga-raja Karna to rule the kingdom. Vidura's face instantly darkened, causing Yudhishthira to become alarmed.

"Is something wrong, uncle?"

- Not. There is nothing. It's all right," he answered, closing his eyes.

Yudhishthira became more worried. A short acquaintance showed him that Karna was capable of defiant insolence, if not malice.

“If he offended you in some way...

- No.. No, son, Vidura hastily interrupted, but Yudhishthira was not convinced by his words.

- Uncle, listen, if he insulted you with something, tell me, please. I won’t be able to sleep peacefully thinking that I unwittingly brought a thunderstorm to your head when I persuaded you.

Vidura sighed heavily and leaned back against the pillows, rolling a cup of tea in his hands. He looked tired and upset.

Do you remember how you got here, son? Vidura asked after a long pause.

Yudhishthira nodded curtly. Their move from the forest to the palace of Hastinapura was firmly embedded in his memory - the change was too sharp and bright.

“I remember too,” Vidura smiled sadly, looking into the cup,

- I taught you then and you could not get enough of it. You were very smart and already knew a lot from your father, and if you didn’t know something, then you easily reached everything with your mind. I never again had the good fortune to teach someone the same way.