Chapter 5 - Dat tension tho

Start from the beginning

"Why? Is it because I'm fat?" I responded. He shook his head, "In Korea you would be fat. But here, you are considered chubby. That's the word right? You have what they call a pear shape. If you were skinnier, it would look weird."

Was he complimenting me? My face was burning and I bit my bottom lip. He technically said my shape suits me, and that alone made me happy. I looked both ways as we crossed the street, and then looked down at my chest. Men are usually attracted to big breasts. I have a big butt, but from the front, I look plain.

"Len!" I heard from behind me.

Both Min and I looked back and Alaric ran across the street, nearly getting hit by a car. My mouth dropped open and he smiled at me. "Hey! Are you trying to get killed?!" I yelled, "Why are you so stupid?!"

Alaric burst out into laughter and slung his arm over my shoulder. I looked at Min, surprised at how hard he was glaring at Alaric. "Want breakfast? I'll buy." said Alaric, completely oblivious to Min's intense glare.

"Su-"

"No, I will buy her breakfast." Min cut in. Alaric looked over at him. "No, it's cool. I'll b-" Again, Min cut him off. "I will buy her breakfast." His voice was so icy and monotone. Alaric stared at him and then looked over at me. "Alright then. I'll see you later, Len." Hugging me, Alaric looked back at Min and walked towards the school.

I looked at Min, unable to read his expression. The way he was still glaring at Alaric was starting to make me upset. Before I could say anything, Min walked over to a food cart and asked me what I wanted. When I stayed silent, he sighed and purchased a muffin. He handed me the brown paper bag, but I never accepted it.

"Why are you acting like this?!" His annoyance was increasing as we walked towards the school. "Sir, don't you think that was too harsh?" Min stopped and looked at me with confusion, "Harsh?" He parroted, "Did you not see how he was acting?" I let out a loud sigh and kept on walking. Suddenly, my bookbag unzipped and the sound of crumpling paper, following another zipper, had me look back. Min rolled his eyes and walked away.

Taekwondo class was even worse. When Alaric was approved to transfer in, the tension in the gym was tight. As soon as he walked in, Min looked like he was ready to beat the hell out of him. I didn't understand why he was acting like this in the first place. All Alaric did was offer to buy me breakfast. Like damn, is that considered rude in South Korea or something?!

"Alaric Sonam?" Min said, his icy glare landing on Alaric. I felt his body tense, but he never backed down from Min's glare. "Present." Min walked towards Alaric. Once they were eye to eye, although Min was taller by an inch or two, his lips pulled into a tight line. "Present, sir." said Min, "You refer to me as Master Min or Sir. Got it?" I looked up at Alaric and almost had a heart attack when he smirked. "Present, sir." Min walked away, calling out other names.

The class was looking in between them and I had to hit Alaric once Min walked towards his desk. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?!" I hissed at him. "That's the second time you asked me that. I don't care about this guy, Len. I don't know why he has to act like a douche."

I sighed and Min announced to go with our partners. Since Aimee was either absent or late, I paired up with Alaric. "Thanks for keeping your promise." He laughed. "Oh please, I'm only partners with you since Aimee's not here." He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, sure." I got two kicking pads and walked back to Alaric.

"Okay. So so far, we've learned four kicks. Snap kick, roundhouse kick, axe kick and push kick." I repeated them, but this time, I demonstrated how they looked. Alaric tried to do them, and laughed when he almost fell doing roundhouse kick. I held out the kicking pad and told him to try again. "You want the targets to make a slap-like sound. That's when you know you're kicking correctly." As soon as Alaric was going to try again, Min asked if everyone got their targets and we all answered yes sir.

"Is everyone with their partners?" Again we responded yes sir, but his eyes lingered on Alaric and I. He seemed annoyed that Alaric transferred in after he taught basics. "Alaric, come with me. I'll explain the kicks. Len, you check and see if everyone is doing their kicks correctly." Instead of complying, Alaric stood by me. "Sir, she explained the kicks to me already."

Min put his hands on his belt and approached us. "Is that so?" He held his hand out to me and I bowed as I gave him the targets, inwardly sighing when he didn't bow back. "Show me."

Alaric shrugged and went into fighting stance. "Snap kick!" Alaric raised his knee and snapped his leg out, kicking the target. "Roundhouse kick!" He angled his body to the left as he raised his right knee and snapped it to the target. "Axe kick!" His leg went flying into the air as it crashed down on to the target. "Push kick." I saw Alaric smirk as he pushed the target, making Min take a step back.

I saw how agitated Min was. I wanted to comfort him, but then again, he had it coming. He shouldn't have been so rude to Alaric earlier today. They stared at each other. Suddenly, I felt Alaric's arm go around my shoulder, pushing me towards him.

"How cute." said Min, slamming the targets on the floor, "Everyone, run around the gym ten times. Now!" I looked up and glared at Alaric, but his eyes were still glued to Min. The sound of targets dropping echoed as everyone started running around the gym. Alaric grabbed me by the wrist as he led me to the track.

"Something isn't right about him." said Alaric as he let go and stretched, "Something is off." I sighed and crossed my arms. "Of course there is! You're provoking the hell out of him!"

We both began to run. By the fourth lap, I caught a cramp and tried to stop. Alaric being Alaric grabbed me by my elbow and forced me to keep jogging as I slowed down. "I... hate... you..." I gasped. He simply returned it with a smile. I couldn't go on past the seventh and had to get off of the track.

As Alaric kept on going, Min walked up to me. His face was stoic and his eyes seemed pitch black. Goosebumps crawled up my skin. He looked so scary. I wanted to turn away from him, but if I even moved an inch, I knew it would anger him more. "Stay after class."

Turning on his heel, he walked away and announced a water break. When it was done, the class came together and we did stretches. After that, we started using the kicking pads. By the time class was finished, Alaric and I were drenched in sweat. I wanted to take a shower, but this school doesn't have any.

"Len. Stay after class." I looked over my shoulder at Min. Alaric tapped me and shook his head. "I said stay after class." The remaining people left and it was just Alaric, Min and I. "Alaric, exit my gym." He laughed. "Your gym? Last time I checked, this gym is shared. Get your facts straight, sir." Alaric met my gaze and gave me a reassuring smile. "I'll see you after class." He walked away, shutting the door behind him.

I looked back at Min with a frown on my face. "Do you have something against Alaric?" I asked. Min bit the pen's cap and wouldn't meet my gaze. "What is he to you?" I instantly smiled and covered my mouth, grateful he was looking down, "I'm sorry?" Min looked up at me and put the pen down on the table, "What is Alaric Sonam to you?"

My heart shouted in my chest. Min got up from his desk and stalked towards me, "Answer me, Len." I stared at him with a blank face. "Because if I find out there is something going on between you two, if I find out he is your boyfriend, I will remove you both from my class."

Remove us from his class, is this guy serious?! He came even closer to me and his soft hair brushed against my cheek. "There is no love in my Dojang*." He whispered in my ear.

--
Note: A Dojang is place where Korean martial arts is practiced.