Part 22: Anax's Coronation

SkekSo the Emperor had been one exceptional Skeksis to have maintained his leadership as long as he had. It meant that he had to have a funeral. Aside from the ones that had died in the battle and at the beginning, and Sil and So's firstborn baby, no Skeksis had died for some time. And they didn't have any real ritual for So's funeral. They were just going to have to come up with one.

The Scroll Keeper was the one who collected the emperor's remains from his bed and he and his son wrapped them in special silks, then they placed them in a special casket.

After the Emperor, Zok, Ung, and Sil were the ones highest in power, aside from Rel and Anax.

Rel knew that his mother was high ranking but he himself had no inclination to be the next leader. He was no fighter like his brother was. He knew that Anax would be fighting hard for his father's position.

The three highest ranking adult Skeksis kept on arguing over what would happen for their 'beloved' leader. Anax then stepped up and gave the orders.

"SkekZok, as Ritual Master, you take the lead behind me as we make the arrangements for my father's funeral. SkekUng, you and my mother will also help carry the special casket that carries SkekSo's remains, what's left of him." Anax proclaimed.

"And what makes you think that we have to take orders from you, young one?" Ung demanded forcefully.

"I am the emperor's chief heir. That's why I am giving the orders right now, General." Anax glared and snarled angrily. "Someone has to be in charge of all this chaos of an empire. My father taught me what I needed to know."

"That still remains to be seen." Ung declared.

"All Skeksis have right to show off qualities to make new emperor, SkekAnax." Sil told his son.

"I know that Mother. But I'm not backing off. This is my right to be the new leader of this empire after my father was." Anax was making it clear, even standing up to his own mother.

Sil wasn't liking that his own son was willing to fight him for the leadership of the clan. He felt that he should have been leader after being in the emperor's shadow for so long, and it was his role as chamberlain as the secretary of the office.

"Mother, you'll still hold a rank as Chamberlain as you did for Father." Anax declared.

The funeral arrangements were soon finished up and all. Anax led the procession. Zok, Sil, and Ung carried the casket to the throne room. Rel was right behind Sil. The others all followed in slow moves. The other young ones walked behind the older adults. Podling slaves brought forth the burning cups and they were thrown onto the casket to burn the emperor's remains.

The Ritual Master had given a proclamation about that their departed emperor was always going to be with them. Once the remains were cremated down, the clan all shouted together, "Long live the Emperor!"

The next morning would begin the real task of Anax taking charge or one of the other older adults taking over. It was going to be a busy day tomorrow.

..............

The Skeksis had all gone to their sleeping quarters for the night, but it was hard for any of them to sleep. Even though Skeksis didn't typically dream, but there was too much excitement in the air for a few of them to get any sleep.

In his room, the Chamberlain was thinking about this was his absolute best chance to be able to become the new emperor. He knew he would have to show his son who was boss if he had any chance at all. He also thought back to the times of when Anax was a baby and Sil would be protective of him and his brother. But Anax was a grown Skeksis now, no longer in need of his protection.