Part 14

Sil hated the punishment that he wasn't allowed to join his clan at the table for the next unum, and his peers made fun of him when they found out about it. The emperor had told them all at dinner that they were all to enforce that if they saw him heading to the dining hall, he wasn't allowed to go there.

He would have to scrape by on SkekNa's scraps for his food needs, or he could use the back way into the kitchens when everyone was eating and grab something. Even the Podlings were not in the kitchens when the others were eating because they were serving their masters. But Sil had to have food just like any of the others. He may not be pregnant anymore, but he had to have energy for his job and to make sure he was giving enough milk to his twins.

He wondered when they would be old enough to start taking solid foods. Perhaps being this young, they wouldn't need to drink essence. The Skeksis had only started it in the first place was because when the adults were getting up there in age, their bodies began to lose more of their youthful looks and strength. The essence helped. But the younglings would have their own for a while.

When Chamberlain went to the throne room the next morning after the Crystal ceremony, he found all the others there already. He had the twins with him in their slings. He whimpered, getting their attention.

The Emperor gave Sil a deep, angry glare. He was still angry at him.

Sil gave him a reproachful look and walked up to the right hand spot slowly and carefully, keeping his body language submissive, and clutching his slings.

"Stop, Chamberlain." So ordered.

"Hm?" Sil stopped.

"You are also not my counsel for the unum either. Ritual Master. You. You are my new counsel for the unum that the Chamberlain is under punishment." SkekSo decreed.

"I am honored to serve, Emperor." Zok bowed respectively.

"Back off, Chamberlain!" Ung declared.

Sil backed off from the throne area. He found himself at the furthest from the throne, but was still allowed in the room to hear what was going on. No one was willing to listen to him right now.

He didn't know how he would earn back the emperor's trust in him. He had just done what he did for So's own good.

If he was still pregnant, the others' words might have hurt his feelings more so from the hormones that made pregnant ones so unpredictable in their moods. Now, his feelings were still hurt, but he was trying not to show it.

He looked on with jealousy at the throne where SkekZok now stood with pride to be the emperor's counselor. He didn't have a big rivalry with the Ritual Master, but this still hurt. Sil had to find a way to regain his emperor's favor.

The Scientist was currently in the lab working on more Garthim to be added. He was the only one not in the throne room.

Then So spoke up, "Skeksis, on this day, for the next unum, also for the Chamberlain's punishment, he will also willingly let you hold my offspring whenever any of you want to hold them for getting the experience needed."

Sil's eyes widened. It seemed his leader wanted to humiliate him at every turn. He clutched his bundles to him even more tightly. "But Sire, you punish Chamberlain good already. No need to add this too." Sil declared.

"It is an order, Chamberlain! You will do as you are told by any of the others too!" So raised his voice at him.

"Please, Emperor. Chamberlain can make up to you." Sil pleaded. "But please, not scare babies."

"I will do as I please, SkekSil. And I will take the babies right now, too. Hand them over." So ordered.

"You heard our emperor, Chamberlain!" SkekNa exclaimed.