seventeen

Onyx thought that she would have time to prepare for breaking the news of their contract termination to the Black Sqaud, having received the paper that confirmed it, signed and stamped from Yoongi only minutes after she had left his office, but when she was put on the spot like that, whatever arguments she could think off all evaporated into thin whisps of air.

She gulped. “Well…”

“Well, what?” S.Coups asked warily, getting impatient by the second.

“I was supposed to tell you this after we’re done with the mission and back in the office,” Onyx said, rubbing her left wrist. “But seeing as the circumstances didn’t go entirely according to plan, I have to say it now; your contracts with SPC have been terminated, you are no longer hired agents and the Black Squad has officially disbanded.”

Silence hung heavy, even Siyeon whom Onyx expected to weep with joy of these news was mortified. She avoided their eyes, backing away to the wall, the reality of the deal she had struck weighing on her.

Frowning, S.Coups took a couple of moments to register what she had said, before it finally settled in. “Sarang, what have you done?”

“You guys are miserable in this place, and you always said you wanted to leave-”

“Sarang,” Jeonghan warned.

“I did this because it was the best for everyone-”

“Sarang!” S.Coups barked.

Her voice hitched in her throat, and she steeled her nerves, looking up into her leader’s eyes that burned with rage. “I made a deal with Yoongi to let you guys go once this mission is done, and he agreed, you’re free now, you can leave.”

“What about you?” Jun asked, a sceptical frown on his face. “If we’re out, you’re out too, right?”

“No.”

“Sarang,” Siyeon groaned, cupping her mouth. “Are you serious?”

“Why would you do that?” Joshua snapped, walking towards her with his arms folded in defense.

“Who the fuck gave you the right to decide for us?” S.Coups yelled.

“I refuse to believe this,” Jeonghan shook his head. “You’re messing around, aren’t you?”

“I’m not,” Onyx said, doning a nonchalant look as she took out the paper out of her vest, along with the recorder. “Here’s your proof.”

Walking amongst them towards S.Coups felt like walking through a mine field, advancing slowly with all caution as she handed both to him. Glancing up, she saw a pained look on Jun’s face, and the slight glisten in Jeonghan’s eyes, the hot anger lying there. She turned to Siyeon for support, and the latter extended a hand, grasping her sleeve in solidarity as she pulled her closer. Her heart rang in her ears, deafening, as S.Coups read the paper, his hand gripping it till it creased.

“-and therefore exempt Seungcheol Choi, Junhui Wen, Jisoo Hong and Jeonghan Yoon from duty with a reward of 3 million currency units each and a clean crimial, social and political record. In exchange, agent Sarang Bang is to serve a total of 10 additional years to the time of her current contract that is to be expired on March 2024, with a rise in incentives and position. The aforementioned agents are to be denied access into the headquarters of the Special Protection Corps starting December 1st 2022, and if they violate this rule, they are to be given to the government to do as seen fit.

Take note that after a regular contract ends, the agent walks out with their record as it was before entering the agency, all offences made during their legible contract are not included. However, in this special case, the records of the agents are to be entirely erased and as in the case of Sarang Bang, by March 2034, same conditions will apply, the agent shall leave with an erased record of all offences.”