eight

“It’s just a cafe, Mingyu, wear your sweats and let’s go.”

Mingyu glanced at Onyx, who was leaning against the wall of room 97, from behind the opened door of his closet. His face contorted in an expression between disgust and disbelief. “I am not taking fashion advice from someone who wears black every darn day,” he said, looking at the collection of sports and loungewear hanging in front of him. “Besides, who the hell goes to cafes in sweats, are you crazy?”

Onyx raised her hands in defeat, a small smile forming on her lips. She looked at herself in the mirror - a black turtleneck hugged her toned figure at every curve paired with black, pleated, high-waist trousers and low heels. A good amount of effort was put into this outfit.

“I’ll wait outside, five minutes, smartass.”

It was Mingyu’s first off-day, and since she had to be there as his protector, she was stuck with him for a good amount of time. The weather outside was helping, with the clouds overcasting the sky, blending out the sunrays but not enough to rain. When she asked him where he wanted to go, his first answer was a cafe since the artist in him has been longing for the coziness of the atmosphere, the whiffs of inspiration and the warm aroma of coffee.

“I’m done.”

Mingyu chose to match her, and wore a black matching sweatpants and shirt, finished off with a puffed out jacket and trainers. His hair was swept back into a deep side part, and a pair of gold chains adorned his neck. If what he wore was loungewear, he had elevated it to celebrity level. Checking him out, Onyx scoffed at the contrasting vibes their outfits gave and beckoned to him to follow her. Down in the garage, she ushered him into her sleek, black car, the same one they rode when she first met him.

“Nostalgic,” Mingyu remarked, clicking his seatbelt.

“Who would’ve thought that I’d be taking you out on a date in the same car I brought you in,” Onyx laughed.

“Wait, are you serious?” Mingyu said, a rosy hue appearing on his cheeks. “Is this a date?”

“Do you want it to be a date?” she asked, glancing at him as she reversed the car with a smirk.

“I-uh-”

“Relax, I’m just messing with you,” Onyx said, laughing. “I’m not allowed to date people I protect anyway, even if I wanted to.”

Mingyu turned his head towards the window, busying himself with the passing cars and mentally kicking himself in the face. His heart raced faster than a marathon runner, face flushing with embrassament. His mind was going leagues ahead of him, and for a moment he felt overpowered by her confidence and unexpected teasing. No way was he losing in front of her, not like that.

"Would you take me out though, if we weren’t in this situation?" he asked, gazing at her.

"Like with a gun?"

“Noooo”, he protested, horrified by her answer. “Like take me out on a date, to place."

"Well after I take you out with a gun, I'll take you out to the cemetery, and then probably to hell, how does that sound?" Onyx answered, faking a sweet smile.

"You're so evil."

"Come on, I'll buy you flowers,” she giggled, “To put them on your grave."

“Why am I even bothering?”

Her laughter filled the car; teasing Mingyu served as a perfect distraction from the thoughts clouding her mind. The phone call they received the night before bore heavy on her shoulders, and she was the one chosen to relay the news to Mingyu, yet she had no idea how she could possibly tell him about his father being kidnapped. What Mr. Kim’s assistant said took both her and S.Coups by shock, a turn of events neither of them expected. The secretary office clerk of S.P.C called S.Coups as Onyx was getting to head home, a fresh tattoo still throbbing on her shoulder, telling him a formal inquest came, related to Mingyu’s case, and both of them had rushed to headquarters in a heartbeat. It send Onyx into a corner, this plot twist made her next move crystal clear, yet confused her even more. What were they dealing with? And who was this reckless to kidnap a man, let alone a powerful one like Mr. Kim?