Chapter 12

"Good morning Sugar Plum!" Wes greeted Maddie the next morning.

"I'm still going to get you back for that," Maddie said referring to her stubbornly blue hair.

"What do you call all that at the lake yesterday, if not payback?"

"Oh, that wasn't payback, more of a warm-up. Besides you guys were asking for that, and no real damage was done," Maddie said while rummaging in the pantry.

"No damage! I beg to differ!"

"Oh, is there something you're not telling me?"

"I was merely referring to my slight loss of pride," said Wes. "That can mess up my childhood development."

"Childhood development?" Maddie asked with a laugh. "Too late, you already messed that up plenty without any of my help. Anything that I do now would probably have a positive impact, because we both know you can't get any worse."

"Hey, I could end up... antisocial because of your little 'warm up.'"

"And that would be a bad thing?" Maddie asked innocently with a smile.

"Oh, you're smiling now, but just you wait!"

"Wait for what?"

"I'm not sure yet. But soon enough, this whole hair thing will seem like a big...jelly stuffed donut."

"A big, jelly-stuffed donut?"

"Oh, you heard me right."

"Well, I'd love to sit and talk about pastries, but I've got some revenge to plan, and some pictures to upload," Maddie said grabbing a box of dry cereal to sustain her until lunch.

"Oh, you're not still on about those pictures are you?"

"What's it to you? Besides the obvious, of course," she was standing in the connected den area; temporarily detracted from the path to her bedroom.

"I just didn't think you would want the competition."

"Competition?"

"Competition from other girls," Wes elaborated. "You show them those scintillating photos and they'll be chasing me like-"

"Like a 'big, jelly-filled donut'?"

"Well, I was going to say like a pig to bacon, but the same difference."

"Oh, was that how I was supposed to act?" Maddie asked, "Sorry to disappoint, but you're not my type."

"Not your type? I'm everyone's 'type,'" Wes said. "You have a type?"

"Why would you be so interested?"

"Call it a research project," Wes answered.

"Research, huh"

"Yes research you mockingbird."

"Well, I think I'll leave you to it then," Maddie proceeded to make her exit, but was distracted once again by Wes.

"You just remember what I said about those pictures going viral. You may not like the results you get."

"You wish! Besides I thought you already had a girl in mind."

Maddie rather thought that he went a little pale at the mention of this, but perhaps it was just a trick of the light.

"Who told you that?" Wes asked, trying to sound indifferent.

"Now, why would I just go and tell you that information? It would ruin all the fun!"

Before Wes could attempt to sway her mind she continued to her bedroom.

Copyrighted Material

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.