"Jah-jah! Di youth just come out ina di bullet suh! Oh God!" The officer said sadly.

  He bowed his head to me when he was ready to leave and then walked out of the waiting area. He held his head up towards the sky and seem to be saying a prayer, in my heart I felt like he has regretted his actions and I hope he'll change for himself and the whole human race. He was guilty of killing the youth.

  Later that evening on the news he was sentenced to ten years in prison, I sat quietly out on the verandah after- with my thoughts. I missed my grandmother and I miss my mother whom I haven't seen in a long time, I sighed knowing the task I was born to fulfil was only for a person who can endure. Mummy did not even came to my graduation from university, my big sister Dewette was shock at my masters of science award and all the honours I had received.

  "Oh life," I whispered looking out at a few people passing by my gate to their homes further up the road.

  I didn't bother calling my brother Ramario or other sister Othelia who now resides in Canada, the last time they had thought I was calling to beg them money and I had felt so embarrassed. I told them goodbye and they had never called me back since, so I just leave them alone. It's a pity, I was much better off than them judging by what Dewette says two months ago when she had called.

  They have all acted indifferent towards me, it was a struggle growing up with them. I have had to walk home alone from school on many evenings, because they didn't want their friends to know that I am their sister. They had told me not to call to them if I saw them on the road and whenever we had to go anywhere they always ran away leaving me. I got used to it and didn't bother to even look at them when I pass them on the street, my only friend was a girl at school whom I've lost contact with.

  I was weary of people especially man, I just think it hard to trust anyone. Many people did not recognise me when I go on the road and those who do held a form of respect for me. I think it's the way in which I carry myself and the fact that they don't know me outside of my robes and head wraps.

"Pssh," I sighed upon a breath and got up.

  I drank some juice and went into my bed, I browse Instagram and Tik-tok until I was sleepy- I put my phone down and went to sleep.

     Cushane's pov

Two months later..

  I wasn't altogether sure why I took a job in Jamaica, a change was good; beautiful beaches, food and I've always been fascinated by this Caribbean island rich history. The sun was hot with the heat of it beating down on my head through the wide brimmed hat, the breeze blowing around me is cool and fresh- I stood up and wrote down the last measurements for the new satellite location, then walk for ten minutes back to the car.

  These landscapes are truly beautiful, I thought as I looked around- then I enter the car and and put the key into the ignition. While I drive back to the apartment, I think of every excuse I could use to pay the read-er woman a visit. I don't even know if she is already committed to someone, Ramario had said no man wanted her because she is a read-er woman- that was so stupid wasn't she still a human, an attractive one at that.

  Maybe we could be friends, real friends- I need someone apart from my mother to talk to and I don't wish to burden my sister with my sad stories. I sighed heavily as I park and took up my knapsack bag and laptop, I climbed the stairs to my apartment and opened the door. My hat was the first thing off and I place it on the arm of the couch, I place my laptop on the small table by the window where I had my meals then hung by bag on the back of the chair.

  Friday evenings are always great, there were a lot of places to hang out at. Jerk chicken and jerk pork could be bought from many vendors at nearby food stalls, various soups, roast corn and boil crabs. I showered and decide to go and get a early meal, before settling at Suki's bar & grill located in the square. The place was already filled with patrons when I got there, I ordered two cold red stripe beers at the bar counter then went to find a seat.

  Most of the tables held customers eating and having their drinks, a lone female sat at a table close to the wide windows. That was my absolute favourite spot since I discovered this place, she was devouring her food and I ask.

"Do you mind if I sit here?"

  "Uh-uh, not at all," she responds glancing up then back down at her food.

  I place my beers on the table along with the bag containing my three pounds of foil wrapped jerk pork and festivals, then sat down slowly. Her eyes I thought staring at her and then she suddenly look up at me. I was held transfixed as she stare into my eyes, realizing that I was staring I blinked and looked away. My gaze fell on her hands and to the top that she was wearing.

  Not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable, I force my gaze to my drinks in front of me- my hand shook slightly as I took up one of the beers and use the opener on my key ring to open it. I could feel her gaze upon me and place my beer on the table as my hand kept shaking. What was wrong with me I ask myself, I should really go and pay her a visit instead of mistaking other people for her.

  "𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈'𝐦 𝐨𝐮𝐭, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐦𝐞?" She asked quietly in her authoritative voice and I nearly knock everything off the table at how I jumped in fright.

To be continued...