CHAPTER 3

Chapter 3

            Lamais's pov

  Shanty came early the next morning even though I had told her not to, I had already read her from the day before and was in the outside kitchen when she arrives.

  "Take the money and the list from off the counter and go into town for those products, be back before nine thirty," I told her sternly.

"Yes ma'am," she said and leaves again.

I heard the hose drawing and her eldest son Kemar began sweeping the premises, after bottling everything I made some packets of remedies. Measuring them carefully and sealing them, then I went and recheck all the items in the shop and that I went to get ready for when the police officer came for his bath.

  Kemar finish sweeping and ask if I needed him to do anything else before he goes and I told him to gather some hyssop, sour sop leaves and fever grass.

"Have a great day at school," I told him when he return with them.

  "Thank you priestess and have a great day too," he said in return.

  He was good at his greetings now, he was a good boy, not so great in his academics but he was doing his best. I adorned my head with a light blue turban, then donned a matching colour robe over my long skirt and simple blouse. My light blue clarks was laced to my feet after I pulled on a white pair of socks, this read-er woman is stylish and likes to dress well.

  I've had many suitors but they were more afraid of me than they admit, they were mostly police officers and men in high ranks and positions. The youngmen openly feared me and because of this I just don't put my mind on relationship, I was ok and I love my own company.

  The officer's car drove up and I got up from where I was sitting and went and unplug the heating cord, disconnecting it and pouring some of my homemade bath concoction into the water. I lit the seven different colour candles, then went out to greet him.

  "Blessed morning priestess," he said as I came out into the waiting area.

"Morning, come this way," I instructed him.

"When you are ready say 'mercy'," I told him.

  I stood on the outside of the opposite side of the bath and waited, it was a simple ritual I came up with because people kept asking for baths and cleansing. I made a lot of money from it, after buying back candles and other items, I was left with majority of the loot.

"Mercy," the officer said.

  I began to hum lightly and then I said. "Began wetting yourelf from your head down using the container on your right."

  "Add the item in the blue cup and continue," I told him and that was how I instructed him until he was finished.

  "𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐠𝐠𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟, 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐆𝐨𝐝. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫."

  It makes me sad to read bad people all the time, but I let my grandmother's words wash over me. "𝑴𝒚 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒊𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝑰 𝒏𝒐𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆, 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒕."