"Gandalf, where are you going? " Bilbo asked as wizard walked past us.

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense! " He growled.

"And who's that? " I asked.

"Myself! " He shouted back. "I've had enough of Dwarves for one day. "

Gandalf is very calm by nature, unless something or someone knocks him off balance, as in this case. Thorin told us not to pay attention to him. He told Bombur to prepare something for us to eat. And he told me and the hobbit to light a bonfire, and Kili and Fili to guard the horses.

***

For the evening, everything was ready. Bilbo and I lit a bonfire and Bombur cooked us something to eat.

"He's been a long time. " Baggins said as he approached me.

"Gandalf?" I guessed. "Don't worry. Who like who, but he'll be fine. "

Bofur handed me two bowls of food to take it to Kili and Fili.

"Come on." I said to the burglar and gave him one of the bowls. "We'll bring them something to eat. "

We went to the forest and found the brothers. They stood with their backs to us and paid no attention to us at all.

"Hey! " I called. "Are you okay? " I asked and approached Kili, and Bilbo to Fili.

"Hello? " I waved my hand in front of brunet's face.

"We're supposed to be looking after the ponies. " Kili said after a while.

"Well, you are, so what's the problem?" I asked.

"We've encountered a slight problem... " Fili interjected.

"We had sixteen... " Kili said.

"Now there's fourteen." Fili finished for his brother.

I handed Bilbo a second bowl and went to see which ponies were missing. After a while, Kili and I found that Daisy and Bungo were missing.

The forest was destroyed and the trees were uprooted. There really was something wrong here.

"Shouldn't we tell Thorin?" Baggins asked.

"Uh, no. " Fili replied. "Let's not worry him. As our official burglar, we thought you might like to look into it. "

"Well, uh... Look, something big uprooted these trees." Hobbit said after a moment's thought.

"That was our thinking." Kili agreed.

"It's something very big and possibly quite dangerous... " I didn't have time to finish, because Kili covered my mouth with his hand and told me to hide.

I heard a rustling and someone's footsteps. We hid all four of us, behind one of the uprooted trees.

We saw some light, as if from a bonfire, and from a distance we could hear someone's laughter and conversations.

"What is it? " Bilbo asked quietly.

"Trolls?" I whispered and glanced at Kili.

"Trolls. " Brunet confirmed.

He took my hand, we came closer to their encampment and hid behind the trees. After a while, Fili and Bilbo also joined us. From what I saw, there were three of them. They were maybe about five meters high. Two of them were fatter and one was thinner, who seemed to have a cold. One of trolls was carrying our two ponies and locked them in a corral with the others.

"He's got Myrtle and Minty. I think they're gonna eat them " Bilbo whispered. "We have to do something. "

We looked at him.