Chapter 16

Operation report

Designation: Rising rose

Day 5: 31st of July, 2070

Coros, the capital of Zirith, surrenders. General of the fifth army, Delsaran Bryora, has been killed by Captain Logan Connors along with several of his high-ranking officers. More than half of his forces have fled the city, presumably due to the death of their commanders. The dutches of Zirith, Taila Gran, has stated that she will make a public apology to the Rosian nobility and the United States Army.

Fort Mundus has surrendered. After suffering catastrophic losses, the defenders of Mundus knelt in surrender. In the four days of brutal warfare, the defenders lost a vast majority of their force, machinery, and a modest amount of infrastructure. Most of the defending forces that survived however fled via underground tunnels. Some of the prisoners attacked the soldiers, attempting to steal their weapons and use them against them. They were stopped however and ceremonially executed in front of the others. 

The United States Navy and Marine Corps have assaulted the unprepared port city of Lashil. Due to a lack of able defending ships, the city did not pose a threat to the navy vessels, which eliminated wall-mounted defenses. The marines, led by Colonel Robert Miller, landed in the city shortly after. However, stiff resistance was met in the form of magic and dwarven machines. 

Day 6: 1st of August, 2070

Infantry and armored brigades have advanced deeper into Rosian territory. The cities and towns welcomed them with open arms. Ever since the war began, more and more people have been forming uprisings. Most of the elven forces stationed in Opherin have fled north, where the 8th army had launched an attack on the castle of Molak. The vast majority of outposts surrendered and posed no threat to the U.S. Army forces, which are making their way toward the port city of Torfa.

Colonel  Robbert Miller has made great progress in the siege of Lashil. While the marines have suffered casualties, the enemy has retreated back to their main garrison building. Colonel Miller states that the siege will end in less than a day.

Other developments: Upon launching the Prototype Orbital Camera Tubes or POCTs, DARPA has managed to map out the continent of North Altia. The results were somewhat shocking to those present but many suspected this to be the case ever since they were given maps by the Meilume capital library. The continent is similar in not only size but also shape to North America.  More research is needed and the Meilume capital library offers information.

---

U.S.-controlled outpost near Morh, Opherin

2nd of August, 2070

"I cannot believe we have come this far west in such a short time.", said one of the Alston knights sitting at a fire.

"Me neither.", said a knight from Dothen, "Their power is extraordinary. It makes me feel like we are here for no reason."

"No, I do not believe so.", spoke a knight of Opherin as he swallowed a spoonful of stew, "They use the tribals as scouts and vanguard. My guess is, we can be useful in sieges."

"How so?"

"Think about it. Their weapons kill men from afar. But what if they get too close? Did any one of you see a human with a sword or shield?". The men around looked at each other and shook their heads. "They need protection against arrows. Oh, I can see it now. Flying in those iron dragonflies and charging into battle alongside the human warriors."

The Alston knight chuckled, "Opherin. You never change."

"Do they not unnerve you, though?", the knight of Dothen asked, "The human soldiers, I mean. Those with masks. They go first and fast. What are they called?"