Chapter 15 - Advance

Operation report

Designation: Rising rose

Day 2: 28th of July, 2070

The siege of Fort Mundus has been slow. Initial attacks were successful, defenses on the eastern walls have been destroyed and a large force, including the 1st and 2nd tribal companies, has landed inside the fortress. Many key garrison structures have been bombed prior to the assault so the defending force was weakened. However, troops inside the walls came under attack by elven magic and dwarven weaponry as well as ambushes. It is clear that magic poses a larger problem than initially anticipated and further knowledge is required on how to properly combat them. Still, with the available air support, the infantry is making progress and eliminating any enemy of great threat.

Day 3: 29th of July, 2070

Armored units have breached the southern and northern defenses. Two-thirds of the outer layer of the fort has been captured by the infantry. Command has authorized the use of heavy infantry in the inner portions of the fort due to the lack of space for heavy vehicles. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd tribal companies under the supervision of lieutenants Marvin Baily and Eric Ross have proven to be exceptionally useful in providing key information and serving as an advancing vanguard. Further training is recommended for more advanced operations.

US Rangers have successfully hunted down most of the former elven X (10th) army officers. Villages across the Alston-Zirith border have been liberated and a front towards the Zirithian capital of Coros has been opened. King Thavok Zorgen requested to join the assault in hopes of swaying the presumed current duchess of Zirith Taila Gran. Lieutenant General Patrick Coleman has yet to authorize this.

Day 4: 30th of July, 2070

The outer layer of Fort Mundus has been taken and the majority of the defending force fled to the inner defense circle of the central fortification. Soldiers are having trouble again due to the increased intensity of magical and mechanical defenses. The elves and dwarves have started to concentrate on the helicopters, and many of them have been lost. Several Mark-IV Goliath heavy infantry suits have been damaged but support vehicles have managed to make a path to the enemy defenses. 

The Zirith front is steadily being pushed. Alston soldiers found a way to help by using their shields to protect the advancing American infantry. The elves in Zirith are confirmed to be soldiers of the elven V (5th) army led by general Delsaran Bryora, who is currently in the capital city of Coros. King Thavok has attempted to negotiate peace via drone communication but to no avail. The officer in charge of the assault, Colonel Samuel Carter, is devising a plan that will minimize civilian casualties in the upcoming attack.

Navy and Marine Corps elements have crossed the Rift on the coast of California and are preparing to assault the imperial port city of Lashil. Their goal is to take the city and create a foothold so that a future operation on the west coast of the elven empire can begin. 

Other developments: DARPA and NASA are studying the strange effects of the new world, such as the atmosphere, temperature, star positions, flora, fauna as well the moon, which happens to glow green and blue, suggesting a possibility that it is habitable. Further research is required.

---

Royal courtyard, Elyana

Middle green season

"You are doing well, princess.", Fenris said as he dodged and blocked Lilyth's attacks. 

"Just keep fighting.", Lilyth replied and continued fighting. Training was her favorite past-time activity. She enjoyed studying the arts of the blade and working to one day match her mother. And Fenris was a great tutor. Only slightly older, he was trained in several different arts of combat from a young age. Such was the necessity of being a royal guard, not to mention the princess' personal bodyguard.