Chapter 12 - Peace or war? (Part 2)

Meilume capital, Empire of Light

The Meilume capital was one of the great capital cities in the Empire of Light. It stands as more than just a symbol of power. Of course, that's what it was to many, including generals. But to some, it was a place of opportunity and many looked at it as their center.

Most common folk don't see Elyana, so Meilume is their great capital. And for a reason. It was the largest and most populated city in the southeast region of the Empire and even North Altia. Its walls and structures could be seen from long distances and many roads led to its gates. It controlled the southeastern shores as well as the trade network with the Alston kingdom.

It wasn't all beauty, however. Outside of the walls were small villages, mostly farmers and workers who provided for the city. But between the walls and the villages were the slums. Damp, dull, and some even disgusting places. Filled with crime and disease, it was often avoided by the nobility.

Of course, to military men, Meilume is critical and it serves as a fortress, one that shouldn't be taken lightly. And it seemed like it was about to be put to the test.

The day has been anything but quiet. To say the people of the Meilume capital were troubled would be underselling it. Some time ago, armored wagons were spotted approaching the south gates. The city guard immediately sprung into action, thinking that the enemy had come. The enemy they all feared.

They heard stories about wagons using cannons and soldiers who used boomsticks. Tensions were high and the captain was anything but calm. He barked orders left and right, assigned soldiers to their positions, and had the gates barricaded and defenses prepared.

The people inside were frightened, but not nearly as much as the ones outside. The people in the villages scrambled to get out of the way while the ones in the slums huddled and prayed they'd be safe. It was all anyone could do really.

As the carriages got closer, the guards tensed up. What would be unleashed upon them? The soldiers shuddered to imagine.

Conar was especially frightened. This was not what he signed up for. He thought it would be an easy job. Almost no work, good pay, just enough to host a wedding with his beloved. His young, little dream was seemingly crushed by this new threat. And all he could do is grip his crossbow and wait.

As the carriages moved closed they stopped at around three hundred steps from the main gate.

The people in the surrounding houses looked out at them. Six armored chariots with cannons on top of them. A menacing sight to behold. Mothers and fathers held their children, who curiously peaked from corners, trying to catch a glimpse of what was happening.

For a moment, it was quiet. Very quiet. Neither side attacked. The city guard did not know what to do. Was it a trick? A diversion? Some kind of ploy by the enemy? Their crossbows, bows, and ballistae could reach them, but even so, what would they do?

Suddenly, the doors of one of the carriages opened. Expecting an assault, the guards aimed their weapons. But what they saw instead shook them to the core.

Lord Bellon emerged from the carriage along with his family. They slowly walked towards the city gates as the people in the surrounding buildings observed them.

Thinking this was some sort of trick, the captain of the guard fired an arrow in front of them, demanding answers. In return, the carriages raised their cannons and aimed at him.

Frightened and alarmed, the guards prepared to battle. But Bellon, raising his hand and shouting from the bottom of his lungs, stopped them in their tracks.

He ordered them to lower their weapons and raise the gates all the while assuring them that no harm shall come from the humans.

After many long moments of hesitation, the city gates opened and guards came rushing out, weapons in hand as they formed a defensive stance.