Chapter 34: A Fresh Start

Start from the beginning

"Here's the directions to Griffins PT. He's in the pool today, over on the south wing. It may be worth tracking him down because his doctor notes say that he's doing much better. If anyone stops you in the hallways, send them my direction, okay?" Melanie winks and pats the note before scooting back to her computer.

My lips tug upwards as I peel the sticky side off the counter and straighten up. "You got it. Thanks, it was good to see you."

"You too, sweetheart. Take care now."

I allow her words to follow me as I turn around and take off down the corridor, following the directions she penned down. There's only so many routes that I know in this hospital, although the physical therapy department is not one of them since I've never had the need for it.

After one or two wrong turns and a few long minutes trying to find the right side of the pool, I finally find a glass door with the pools name etched into it. The light on the electric lock is green, so there's no resistance as I pull the door open and walk in.

The smell of chlorine hits my nose like a brick, momentarily making my eyes water. It's quiet in here, apart from a males voice that I don't recognize calling out commands and the echoey sound of water that only a room like this can produce.

This specific pool almost puts our high school's one to shame, other than the fact it's much smaller since there's no need for all of the long racing lanes. But, architecturally speaking, it is stunning in here. On the far side of the room, there are massive floor to ceiling windows that overlook part of San Francisco and the coast. The other wall is partial glass, tinted with a one-way reflective film. This side of the glass reflects the pool, but I know that there's a skyway on the other side.

Over to my right is extra seating for an overflow of people, except today only Ira is sitting alone.

That leaves Griffin and his instructor in the pool.

It seems like Griffin is doing forward lunges, his hands on his hips, his face set in concentration. The instructor is shadowing his every move, eyes trained on Griffin as he coaches him through.

I never thought that seeing my cousin back in the water would make me smile, but here we are. We missed out on so much time in the ocean this summer with his injury, and honestly, I've really missed it. Seeing him like this gives me hope that we can hit the surf again one day.

Biting down my grin, I keep walking down the ramp and stay near the wall as I follow it over to the seats. I try not to make a scene in an attempt to not distract Griffin.

It doesn't work. Nothing gets past him, I should know that by now.

Griffin glances over his shoulder and begins to look away, then does a double take. I might be crazy, but I swear that his eyes brighten. That is, until his mouth sets in a straight line and he takes one hand off his hip to give me the middle finger.

I can't help it, I have to laugh, even when I hear the instructor scold him. Griffin has an air of a smile as he faces forward again and continues.

I'm still smiling as I reach Ira and nod my head up at her. "Hi, Ira. How are you?" I ask and step over one bleacher seat to walk over to her, the aluminum floor creaking and banging hollowly underneath my sandals.

"I'm doing well, Parker. And yourself?" She asks kindly and glances at me before turning the majority of her attention back to Griffin.