Chapter 20: Sass Masters

𝚂𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟷𝟼𝚝𝚑
Parker POV

Palm trees and the rolling west coast pass by the car window in a blur of green, white, and blue. I can see the ocean, although I can't hear it over the sound of the wind whistling in the window. The breeze scatters my hair in every direction and I squint as it forces against my eyelashes.

Miles somehow manages to keep the appearance of a male model from how he lounges one elbow on the window frame, his other hand rested on the top of the steering wheel. His curls hardly bob out of place. Only the collar of his shirt flutters from the wind, getting pulled open every few seconds thanks to the fingers of Mother Nature and the one button that's not fastened, just a little too low.

He's a sight to behold. Except every time I look at his fingers, I can still see Griffins blood dripping off. I can hear him demanding, Parker, let him go. This isn't the way that I want to remember my boyfriend. I simply can't seem to control the direction that my thoughts go.

What should be my safe space is turning into another casket of memories. I can't enjoy time with Miles anymore without the nerves in my brain poking a stick at my temporal lobe.

This car ride to Miles apartment is a sick reminder that Griffin won't be able to drive his car, that stupid machine that he loves so much, for months. When we went downstairs for breakfast this morning, I couldn't stop thinking how he'll be stuck hobbling down staircases for the rest of his life. I had to skip working out yesterday because I began to text Griffin, curious to see if he was awake and wanted to go to the gym with me. Miles had to rush me to the bathroom on Thursday night because we tried watching a new movie to get my mind off of Griffins situation. It worked, until the character in the movie lost his leg.

The rest of my memories are comparable to the wind: loud, whipping, gentle one moment and annihilating the next.

Slowly, carefully, I inhale the sea salt air. It stings my throat.

A hand waves in front of my face.

Flinching, I blink and look away from the coastline as the road curves and hills block the view. I turn my focus to Miles, who is looking between the road and me with a scowl on his face.

"Man, thought I lost you for a second there. I said your name, like, three times," Miles says and rolls the windows up higher.

"Sorry. I'm out of it today." I shake my head before knocking it back against the headrest. "I don't think that I'm going to be the best babysitter today."

"Park, it's not your job to watch Kenya. She's my responsibility. I already told you, I have no issues if you want to stay in the apartment while I bring her to the beach for a little bit—"

"No. I'm going with. Just because I'm not going to be the best doesn't mean that I don't want to be there," I quickly reply, rolling my head to the side.

Miles meets my gaze for a moment, then focuses on the road again. The engine of my Audi purrs kindly under his foot. "Okayyy..." he stretches the word out, as if he doesn't believe me. "Whatever you say..."

In response, I reach over and smack my hand against his face. That makes him laugh, even as he violently jerks the wheel to stay in the lane as he smacks me back.

"Whatever you say, my ass! When have you ever known me to be a liar?" I question and sit up.

Miles manages to snake his hand over my head and ruffle my hair faster than a whip, giving me no time to duck away. "Hmm, how about the time you said that you weren't gay? Or that you were ready for a relationship? There was also that time you told your parents that we weren't actually—"