Prologue

My head started pounding as my eyes adjusted to lights. The sound of frantic voices in the other room that sounded like they were trying to come up with a plan and the realization that I was bound to a chair was enough to bring me back to what was happening. I was walking home from my school recital even though I was supposed to be meeting my family at a restaurant and out of nowhere felt a blow to my head. That felt like forever ago. Now I couldn't tell how long I'd been gone for or if my family even knew what happened to me.

"We could always just kill her now and get it over with," one of the voices said, making my heart stop.

"No not yet," another voice responded. "We're waiting to see if they get the money."

I felt my heart beat faster as I struggled to catch my breath. I tried to remember what Aiden taught me about how to handle my panic attacks but just the thought of him made everything worse. I was the reason he wasn't around to protect me. I was the reason he was back to living his own life, making me more vulnerable to these guys.

Thinking of this wasn't going to get me out of this situation. He always told me to keep my mind in the right place, no matter what predicament I was in so instead, I focused on the cool metal of his dog tag necklace around my neck which led me to think about his deep brown eyes that always felt like he was seeing me in a way that no one ever had. His arms that always felt like the safest place in the world when he held me. I could remember how it felt when he finally let his hands roam all over my body for the very first time and how addicting it felt. I wanted to always feel his hands on me no matter the cost.

It was nice to have someone make me feel free and whole. Someone who reminded me that I was more than the perfectionist girl I was raised to be who didn't need to care what the world thought of me. Aiden reminded me that I didn't owe anything to anyone except for myself. It was great to feel that for just a moment even if it meant that I was never going to have it again. As my kidnappers decided on what to do with me, all I could think was how much I wished I could see Aiden one last time. If only.