003

☆。*。☆。
★。\|/。★

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────『And when you're in doubtAnd when you're in danger,Take a look all aroundAnd I'll be there』---𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓮 𝓫𝔂 𝓦𝓱𝓮𝓷 𝓲𝓷 𝓡𝓸𝓶𝓮───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────
And when you're in doubt
And when you're in danger,
Take a look all around
And I'll be there
---𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓮 𝓫𝔂 𝓦𝓱𝓮𝓷 𝓲𝓷 𝓡𝓸𝓶𝓮
───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

ONE MIGHT THINK the most striking difference between the Byers house and the Harrington house would be visual. The size, the condition, the decor. But what actually sets the two environments apart is the smell.

The Byers home, while having an overall pleasant scent of lingering breakfast food and incense, always had this underlying secondary odor of cigarettes and mildew. It would never come out no matter how much Joyce scrubbed the carpet.

In stark contrast, the Harrington household had almost no smell at all. If you were to try and place it, it would be faintly of bleach and other cleaning products, with a hint of citrus.

As you ponder this, you fidget on the Harrington's plush leather couch in front of their luxurious 25' inch console television, waiting for Steve to return.

You'd stopped at the Family Video on the way home from school, and picked up some drinks and snacks. You had immediately plopped onto the sofa, exhausted from the school day. Steve had gone to the kitchen to make popcorn.

You had rented Halloween, one of your favorite movies. Steve hated it, but he did say he wanted to watch a horror flick. So, really it's his fault you're going to watch it for the thousandth time.

It feels like he's been gone forever.

You bite your nails, your mind drifting, imagining possible scenarios of how the evening may play out.

Steve's hand brushing your thigh, your eyes slowly meeting, his lips on yours—

"Alright, let's get this party started!" Steve's voice behind you jerks you out of your fantasy and causes you to jump a little, which makes him laugh. He's carrying a bowl of buttered popcorn and a six-pack of beer. "Geez, we haven't even turned on the movie yet, Agent."

"Shut up," you suppress a smile.

He sets the snacks down on the table and goes to pop the VHS tape into the TV.

"Oh, come on!" Steve laments as the credits pop up on the screen. He sits down in front of it, holding down the rewind button. "Didn't even have the decency..." He trails off, mumbling to himself.

While he rewinds the tape, you can't help but take the opportunity to stare while his back is turned.

The soft glow of the television gives Steve a halo-like effect, a hazy multicolored light filtering through his perfect hair.