✖Consequences?✖

I want to follow him, stop him, put things right.

Upset as I am, it takes me a good minute to realize that Chuck came back.
"I talked to Alby; he says it's okay...- what the hell happened here?"

He drops the folded hammock he was just holding and comes beside me.
"Are you alright?"
"Don't ask about me, he, he is hurt. I... I kicked him, really hard I guess. He attacked me. It was self-defence, I swear..."

I notice that I'm shaking, but not crying. What would I give to cry now?

More and more Glades come running into the homestead, talking frustrated, staring at me like at a wild animal.
Did Newt call them? Did he tell them what he saw?
"She beat up Ben?" "Let me through!" "What happened?" "I call dibs on her!" "She's a crazy violent chick!" "I already called dibs before you, shank."

Too many voices, too many people. I just want to cover my ears with my hands.

"Damn it, LET ME THROUGH!" Alby roars. It gets calmer.
"You"
he points on me, "Come with me.
All the others, shut your buggin' holes, get Clint's hairy ass over her and look after Ben."

Everyone does as he ordered and I follow him out of the homestead.
"I swear, it was him who attacked me and not the other way round! Why would I attack him?" I gasp. Why does he have to walk so fast?

"Why would he attack you? Listen, shank. I don't know you, no one here does. You got to understand our point of view before we understand yours.
Ben is one of our best guys and you don't leave the best impression when you beat the shuck out of him on your first day.
It's your word against anyone else's and I'm really sorry, but I'll do what everyone expects me to do. You'll be punished, because you harmed Ben.
Since we don't know the exact circumstances why you did that, we'll lock you up in the Slammer until we know more about what happened."

"The shit are you doing!" I yell, outraged, "I'm not letting you put me in some of your I-don't-know-what sort of prison, I suppose! It's not fair, I'm telling the truth and in addition to that, you haven't got any right to cage me, I'm no animal!"

Before he can grab my arm and force me to obey, I jog myself away from him and sprint to the box.

As I hoped, the black blade is still laying in there, so I jump inside and pick it up. He comes after me, but he doesn't enter the box.

"Stay up there!" I command. "I'll stab everyone who gets near me, no kidding."

Alby nods and holds up his hands to show that he isn't planning to do something.
He sits down next to the box.

"You know that you don't improve the situation by doing this."

I nod, and then I notice that he can't see me because it's dark, so I reply:
"I know."

After a while, I add:
"But you have to understand me. I'm the only living girl in here and right on my first day, I get attacked and now everyone says I'm the bad one. I honestly have no clue what's going on!"

I still feel Ben's spit on my dry lips.

"I kind of see your point. ... You want to stay in there until we can prove whatever the truth is?" He answers after a long silence.

"Yes, please."

"Good night then."

I don't want to sleep.
I don't want to be alone.
I don't want the things that hide in the darkness to come out.
I don't want to dream, because I know that every dream will be a nightmare.

My grip around the blade gets tighter. Darkness swallows me as I hear Alby walking slowly away.

"Could you... Could you please ask someone to bring me something to drink?" I ask hoarsely.

Even though I see nothing but black obscurity, I know he's smiling.
"You got someone special in your mind for that?" He asks.

My voice sounds thin and broken as I say calmly: "Newt."