Chapter 7

"Let me," Steve said, pulling me behind him as we all marched to the boathouse the following morning.

"No need to protect me, Steve." I reminded him. "It's just Eddie--"

"I don't care if this is just Munson or whomsoever you have fraternized with, if he points you that darn bottle--"

"I am way more familiar to shards of glasses than you!"

Steve looked at me with an expression I can't quite read. It was like the more I look, the quicker his expressions morph from one to another.

Concern.

Surprise.

Hurt.

"I-I'm sorry." I shake my head, realizing a second too late that what I've said was wrong, and unfair especially to Steve. "I just meant that he won't hurt me. Or if he does swing that bottle at least it hits m--"

"Don't you even finish that," Steve sternly says, "I swear to god, Blue."

At least it hits me, not you. It won't be the first time. You've seen them.

"What are you two on about? It's so early and both of you got your underwears on a twist!" Robin complains just catching up on us both. "We've got children with us!"

The sudden reminder that it wasn't just Steve and me alone alarmed me to pull my already long sleeves lower to hide the scars. Most of them were fading, some of them were still cuts and scabs I peel when I get bored.

"Nothing," Steve sighed and answered, angling his body as though to cover me, "Just...usual sibling bickering."

I exhaled before turning to Dustin. "Can I be the one to break it to him?"

Dustin nodded. "I think it's actually better if you do."

I smiled him my thanks and ignored Steve, walked straight pass him and aimed for the door of the boathouse. When I opened, I saw Eddie quivering in the corner, his trusted shattered bottle in his hand again, pointing it to me.

The shard seemed to be smiling at me, greeting me. It alerted Steve, enough to make him pull me out of the way and in the safety of his broad back in a matter of seconds. He was even quicker to not make it seem obvious as he had managed to wave his hand in greeting to Eddie.

"Delivery service." Dustin announced happily, pushing through Steve and me in the entrance to hand Eddie the groceries we shopped for him.

"Jesus!" I heard Eddie exhale in relief, followed by the clanging of the bottle to the ground.

"I'm fine, Steve, really," I told him, "Relax. Hawkins and this town's other worldly dimensions are taking my mind off of Julio the bottle doesn't even scare me."

He sighed, but didn't say another word. Steve nods before stepping aside, making way for me to get inside and see Eddie.

His features softened and relaxed at the sight of me...or probably at the sight of the box of cereals peaking through the bags I have in my hand.

"Hey, Blue."

I shot him a small smile. "Hey, you,"

"Really? Just her?" Dustin complained, jealous that  he wasn't greeted that way when he entered the boathouse. "Forget about the friend that made sure we find you."

Eddie shrugged and I hand him his supplies, within seconds, he sat himself on the boat he's using as his bed/hideout and began stuffing his face with Honeycomb.

Dustin and I shared a look before I sit on the stool just beside Eddie. For reasons I think I can relate to, I let him take a few handfuls of Honeycomb before breaking the news to him.