Chapter 16

"Honey," dad's head popped by the door of my bedroom, "Can I talk to you for a second?"

I nodded, scooching over to the side to give him space to sit on my bed. My hands played with the end of one of my two braids, as though the action provided comfort.

"What's up, dad?"

He smiled shyly to me, looking unsure of what to say next. Dad reached for my hand and gave it a squeeze. My heart tugged at the small act of affection.

"Before I say anything else, I just want you to know that whatever you choose to do, I am fully supportive of it, okay?"

"Okay..."

Dad paused, mulling over the next words to say. Then, he looked up to me with a face I can't quite read.

"Your mom reached out to me," he said.

"Erin?" I asked, even though we both know I still haven't really mustered up whatever needs to be mustered to call Erin mom. She is Steve's mom. Not mine.

The look on Dad's face was a big fat no to my question. My heart did some sort of a leap inside me--from excitement or anxiety, I wasn't sure.

"Wait," I said, "My mom?"

"She told me she would like to meet you," he said, "Now look. Whatever you decide, whatever at all, I support it. Erin supports it..."

"And Steve? Does he know?"

There was a pause.

"I figured you should be the one to tell him, yeah? I'm sure he will be supportive, too."

No doubt on that. I nod, "Can I think about it? Meeting her?"

"Of course, B," he smiled, "Let me know, okay?"

He left the room after that. The second he was out, I was on my feet and went dashing to Steve's room.

"You wouldn't believe this!"

Steve looked up from his book and blinked at me, "What?"

"You're reading?" I plopped myself on his bed and laid next to him, "I didn't know you can read."

"Ha-ha."

I point to his book, "I think I am right."

He looked at me and then to where I was pointing, his face turned red immediately. His book was flipped upside down. It was as though he had just picked up a book to pretend to be busy. Steve sighed and closed the book he obviously was not reading and placed it on his nightstand.

"What do you want?"

"Dad broke some news to me." I grinned, excitement taking the better of me, "He said my mom reached out to him and that she wants to meet me!"

Steve raised a brow, "What does that have to do with me?"

"Gee, got your panties in a twist?"

He huffed before rolling to his back and sitting up, "I just...sorry."

I felt my heart drop, "Aren't you happy for me?"

He knows how much I've been wanting to meet my mom. He knows how jealous I am of him for having a mom. Erin and Dad weren't around most of the time, but at least he knows Erin and can occasionally spend time with her. I don't even know how my mom looks like, just that I got her eyes.

Yet, even while knowing this, Steve looked like he's pissed off or something.

"Of course I am," he sighed, his expression softening, "Just that...I don't know, Blue. Are we sure that she really wants to be part of your life?"