10 - The Bow and the Ring

Ilati ran her fingers along the bowstring, eager to learn. This recurve bow was so short compared to the bows she'd seen used by the archers of Kullah, a composite of wood and horn with sinew on the front, lacquered together into one solid weapon. It looked broken when Shir Del brought it to her unstrung, curved practically into a C in the wrong direction. Fortunately, she'd been able to string it in what felt like the silliest way possible, sitting on the ground with her feet pressed against the grip. "That was much more challenging than I thought it would be. Isn't there an easier way?"

Shir Del laughed, leaning against Araxa's flanks. "There are a hundred ways to string a bow. Whatever works."

Smoke from the Sut Resi campfires wafted up behind them, far enough away that an errant arrow shot wouldn't harm anyone. Ilati was grateful for the distance. The fewer people saw her fumbling, the better. Tahmasp supervised from his perch on a low mud-brick wall at the edge of the farm they had camped beside, much to the terror of the farmers.

The priestess curled her fingers around the string just like Kia and Duga had showed her once: index, middle, and ring.

"Not like that, little sister," Shir Del said with a sharp shake of her head. "That draw does not work so well on horseback, nor with our bows. Here, Tahmasp made this for you." The warrior woman held out a ring carved of some unknown horn, suited well enough to wear on Ilati's left thumb, since that was her stronger hand.

Ilati took the ring and studied it. Tahmasp had scratched symbols into the band and then rubbed over with some kind of dark pigment. After wiping away the excess stain, it left the ring with various symbols in thread-thin lines of black. One was a triangle with a circle through it, another a series of waving lines, and one looked like a hand with a thumb on either side of the palm. "What do these mean?"

Tahmasp scratched his beard as he stood up, moving to join the conversation. "They honor Skyfather and Earthmother, and bring good luck. You'll need all the help you can get, girl."

Ilati wanted to ask Shir Del if what he said was true, but she doubted Tahmasp would take that suspicion well. "Thank you for the gift. It is most thoughtful."

"Thank Artakhshathra. It was he who asked me to make it."

Shir Del snorted. "Asked? Told."

Tahmasp gave the warrior woman a withering glare. "Are we here to teach the girl archery or not?"

Ilati slipped the ring on her left hand. "What do I do now?"

"Hook your thumb around the string. Your first and second fingers will cover the part of your thumb that curls towards your palm," Shir Del instructed. "Then you will draw. To fire, you would simply let go with your hand and then nock the next arrow."

"Nock?"

"There is a groove in the end of the arrow where the fletching is. That is pressed back onto the string to hold the arrow as it is drawn."

Tahmasp held out an arrow. Those learning the craft of fletching had donated their arrows, imperfect and probably inaccurate, but right now hitting things wasn't the point and Ilati was going to go through many arrows before she got better.

Ilati held up the bow, nocking the arrow with care.

"Now, don't lock your shoulder and keep your right arm slightly bent," Shir Del advised, watching her with hawkish intensity, which did nothing to put Ilati at ease.

Still, the priestess tried to do as she was told. She drew the bow back, muscles pulling in her arm and shoulder, deep into her back. The bow resistance was more than she expected, but she fully intended to pull until she had the draw memorized in her muscles. Holding the position was a slight strain, but she stayed still as Tahmasp walked from one side of her to the other, correcting her grip and position.