8 - Welcome of the Sut Resi

Eigou studied Shir Del, golden eye gleaming with interest. "A dream-walker? I had heard the Sut Resi had magic, but I hadn't considered the possibility of such a powerful tradition."

"Few of the soft folk do." The horse-warrior shrugged. "Their mistake." Shir Del seemed quite comfortable by their fire, though her eyes were on the flame rather than those she spoke with.

"I have never heard of such a thing." Ilati was even more fascinated than Eigou as she spoke. "There were those in my birthplace who could interpret dreams, but this sounds like more." She knew better than to mention Shadi, at least for now. While Shir Del seemed straightforward enough and honest in her opposition to Nadar, it was still a dangerous secret to be floating around.

Eigou chuckled. "Very much so, Ilati. A dream-walker can leave their physical body and enter the world of spirits, even the dreams of others, and may work much good or harm. I have heard that one with sufficient power can even kill the one they visit."

"Is it true?" Menes's question was serious, nowhere near Eigou's casual curiosity.

They spoke quietly, so any eavesdroppers would struggle and fail to pierce their meaning beyond the noise of caravans settling in. The haggling of merchants in a dozen languages filled the air, hawking cries and quarreling neatly covering the little group's conversation.

Shir Del settled back into her seat on the low mud-brick wall that allowed her to put her back to her horse's side. "I have never killed so. I would rather bring down a foe with my bow or strike him with my spear, but yes, I can pass beyond the world of the waking."

"Far traveler," Ilati said with eyes wide in amazement. "I cannot imagine simply closing my eyes and stepping into the world of sight beyond sight."

The horse-warrior's lips twitched into a smile. "High praise, when one bears the kiss never given to mortals."

Ilati resisted the urge to touch her lips, remembering the taste of lightning. "What do you know?"

"Only a little." Shir Del glanced across the three of them, eyes never lingering long. "If you wish to speak to the chieftain, let us go. Though I wonder, if you will listen."

Eigou smiled pleasantly. "Of course." He seemed far less concerned than Ilati or Menes, which soothed at least some of the priestess's nerves. After all, the sorcerer had not led them astray yet.

The Sut Resi woman flicked her bowstring gently, more of a thoughtful gesture than a threat. She kept the weapon in one hand or beside her at all times, an answer to any Nadaren threat that might arise. "What do you hope to gain?"

Ilati considered that. Asking for an alliance now or speaking of her heritage and place in the world, whatever that was now, would be a great risk and unlikely to succeed. She settled on a smaller truth. "We need passage to Sarru by a path where the Nadaren either cannot or dare not follow. Your people are the only ones who could grant that."

Shir Del leaned back against Araxa's side. "You would have to travel with us, lest another tribe encounter you with unfriendly intent."

Menes shook his head, frowning. "I think it's unwise. We do not know your people's intentions. I do not doubt that you are honorable, Shir Del, but treating with the Sut Resi is a risk."

"As was pulling me from the river's embrace, as was venturing into the desert," Ilati reminded him gently.

"It is your safety I think of." Menes was firm as rock in his disagreement. "It is fine to trade with the nomads, wild and unpredictable, but to rely so heavily on their good wishes would be foolish."

Shir Del scowled. "We have no love for the Nadaren, a truth even truer for Artakhshathra, and we honor our word."

Eigou stroked his beard thoughtfully. "Why does he have such distaste for them, aside from their legendarily poor manners?"