crumble - platonic

angst

"i'll see you at work after school alright?" robin said as she stepped out of the car.

"yeah, and please don't make that face in front of vickie again? it'll turn her off." steve called out the open window of the car.

"what-" robin turned around and looked back into the car, "i thought it was cute."

"i mean i don't know. but i know i wouldn't be attracted to... that" steve said. robin rolled her eyes and walked away, flipping him the bird as she went. a light chuckle left steve's mouth as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

"hey sweetheart."

steve jolted up out of his seat, startled by the sudden noise.

"jesus. what the fuck." steve turned to see the freak that is eddie munson. his curly hair fell perfectly down the sides of eddie's face. his lips forming a cheeky smile as he rested his arms on the car. his rings clinked against the interior of the car as he tapped his hands along to some random beat.

"what do you want eddie?" steve asked still taken off guard by the sudden scare.

"just saying hello. is that not allowed anymore harrington?" he asks with a smirk.

"well you scared the shit out of me in the process." steve shooed eddie away from the edge of the car so he could get out.

he grabbed his bag from the back of the car and started walking. eddie stood awkwardly behind him.

"are you waiting for a written invitation? come on." steve said to eddie. eddie moved quickly to catch up with steve.

the two walked into the school laughing and messing around.

"fag."
"queer."
"freak."

people called out to as the two walked into the school. eddie's head fell down and the smile that once resided there getting wiped away. he gripped his backpack strap with both hands as he sped up, trying to get away from the nasty calls.

"eddie-" before steve could get his attention he stormed down the hall and out the back door. the laughs and insults still being halled at the freak even after his exit.

steve followed eddie out the back door. he looked around trying to find the curly haired boy. after a couple seconds, he spotted him leaning against the wall, a blunt held up against his lips.

"man, how do roll those things that quick?" steve asked as he walked over and joined the other.

"practice." he said simply as he took another hit.

they stood in silence for a minute or two before steve spoke.

"hey man, i'm really sorry about those idiots back there. i mean they don't know who you truely are and honestly need their heads kicked in."

eddie laughs slightly at the boys remark. he looks up, thinking for a moment before he looks back at steve with a sad smile.

"what they say doesn't get to me, well not to an extent at least," he pauses as he takes another hit. steve waits patiently for eddie to speak. "but it's the fact that i've hated my self for so long about the fact i'm queer and i'm just starting to accept the fact that thats who i am. and when i get those things hurled at me on a daily basis, it breaks down any progress that i'd made." eddie meets steve's eyes. his once vibrant eyes are no longer coloured. any life that was there is barely visible under all the pain and hurt that lies on the surface.

they stand quiet for a moment. the only noise being the distant chatter coming from inside and eddie inhaling as he takes a hit of his blunt.

"sorry- i probably shouldn't of dumped that all on you-" eddie starts before he's cut off.

"no, don't apologise. you are struggling with some pretty deep shit and you're just expressing your feelings. please don't be sorry for being open and honest with me." steve smiles at the other. he places a hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

eddie drops the remainders of his blunt on the floor before squishing it with his foot. he looks back up at steve and wraps his arms around the other. steve gladly returns the hug patting him on the back.

eddie lays his head in the crook of steve's neck, staying there for a little bit before whispering into steve's ear, "thanks so much dude, you're always there for me."

"anytime man, i'll always be hear to chat." they pull away from the hug. steve teasingly punches eddie's arm lightly. the two boys chuckle before they grab they're things a head back inside.

please don't cancel me- i'm gay i can say the f slur. thank you case closed