Round 4 - THE COURTYARD & THE ROMANCE

Two days passed

Two days passed.

A repetitive broadcast, by the king's herald, sounded in the city square.

"Old King Aurik is dead! Gather in the castle courtyard to honor His Majesty King Jazper-Louis; Sovereign Ruler of Beltronia!"

Hearing this relayed, King Aurik said, "So, I'm dead." He smiled, adding, "That settled, we'll gather, wearing disguises."

The twins dressed in their combat costumes, donning ragged garments over top.

Jaz darkened his eyebrows with charcoal, thickening his sparse mustache to look older, less like his half-brother.

Fixing a long-haired, gray wig with beard over his brown hair, their father ordered, "Call me Max; only Max."

Eyeing Jaz and Jo, he commanded, "You two, too! I'm Max from now on. No exceptions."

The pair joined him, following the crowds.

'Max's' loyal band of warriors, wearing street clothes, ambled behind.

Crowds entered the trio of arched gates into the castle courtyard itself. Flowers lay on pavement beneath the balcony. Mourners placed fresh bouquets while rows of guards looked on.

Wearing the golden crown, King Jazper-Louis stepped out on the balcony, looking downwards, grinning and waving at the floral arrangements.

Shouts, boos, accusations and denunciations corroded the pleasantness of the warm spring air.

"Where's your father's crown? We see no sparkling jewels!"

"That's not the crown!"

"Where's your father's coffin?"

"Tyrant!"

"Rabid dog king!"

"Bloody murderer!"

Mingling with damning questions, shouts merged into uproar.

It dawned on the vainglorious boy— 'The flowers aren't for me!'

He shouted, "Where are MY accolades! Kneel, you rats! Kneel!"

Warmth of the day, aromas of flowers, fantasies of his power as king; all turned corrosive as the courtyard erupted into chaos.

"Guards! Yoan! Zygot! Krygol!— Clear the courtyard! Show no mercy!" Turning, he stomped away, slamming doors.

Waving their swords, guards surged towards a mass of terrified children and protective adults.

Taking an arm each, Jaz and Jo guided Max toward an exit arch. Close behind, their disguised company took charge, urging, "Go— do your thing! Save as many as you can!"

Innocent people, pushed aside, struck down, trampled— Jaz and Jo hurried to rescue them, placing them out of harm's way.

Understanding the duo's tactics, some of Max's cadre separated to keep the three arched doors open.