5. Distorted Illusions

Start from the beginning

The boy shakes his head in denial. "T-that can't be..." he murmurs taking a step back.

"And the so-called business he was setting up was no other than a damn drug cartel," his father continues, ignoring the shock on Kihyun's face. "It's a good thing he was caught before he got involved in anything major."

"Hyung would never do something like that! You're a liar! I don't believe you!"

"Kang Kihyun!" Wooshik warns, standing abruptly and towering over his son. "Just because this is unexpected news for you, doesn't mean you'll disrespect me." He yanks the said boy's collar and throws a glare. "Leave if you know what's good for you."

Kihyun hates how the commanding voice always sends shivers up his spine, and his only shield isn't here anymore...his brother. He stumbles out of the room, shaky steps dragging through the floorboards and climbing the stairs leading to his bedroom. He falls to his knees, back sliding over the closed door, head knocking against it. "Why...what happened?" He whispers but there's no answer.

Kihyun grits his teeth, fingers curling into fists. He remembers years ago, when he was fourteen, for the first time he was given a packet of white powder at a party, the dealer claiming that it was a must for all rich kids to do drugs at least once. And it must've been true since he had seen Minwoo hold a similar packet just a day before. He had taken the powder home only to have it snatched by his brother.

"What do you think you're doing!" The man had bellowed with furious eyes.

"Hyung, I saw you carrying the same thing yesterday! Don't worry, everyone does this. It's not a big deal—" Kihyun's head snaps to the right after a hand strikes his cheek. His eyes widen, fingers coming to hold his stinging area. Perhaps, it was the first time his brother had slapped him. And the man himself looked stunned at his behavior.

"I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean to do that," Minwoo croaked, moving forward and putting his hands on the younger boy's face. "Please, promise me that you'll never touch drugs. It's a vicious cycle." He pleaded, pulling Kihyun into a hug.

Kang Minwoo, thirteen years older than Kihyun, had always been there for his younger brother, a lodestar of some sort. He excelled in everything he did and Kihyun stayed under his shadow, but the boy didn't hate his brother for it, although he was envious he was happy for him. But he didn't know the man outside of what Minwoo showed him, blinded by the love the older showered him with.

Kihyun should've asked more about why Minwoo had drugs, rather than just melting in his embrace and agreeing to his pleas.

Now, Kihyun wraps his hands around his frame, choking on a sob. "Liar..." he whimpers, "you're a liar and hypocrite, hyung. I'll never forgive you for distorting the perfect image of the only man in my life I looked up to."

Something broke in him and Kihyun decided he didn't need anyone anymore.

Kihyun opens his eyes slowly, mulling over the memory-turned dream. It's been a year since Minwoo was sentenced and he didn't visit him even once. His anger is as fresh as the event in his mind. The betrayal, a sharp blade still knifed in his chest.

A cold wind passes by him but Kihyun still feels warm. Only then does he notice the long overcoat covering his body, a piece that didn't belong to him. And he's sure it wasn't there before he dozed off. He gets up from his position and looks around. The sky has already lifted, dawn tearing its way through the clouds. Kihyun gawks, how long was he asleep?

"Crap! It's already half past six!" He jolts up from the bench, holding the black coat in his hands, in a dilemma about whether to leave it on the spot or take it with him. He doesn't know who left it here but a smile makes its way through his lips, a bit elated that kind people still exist. It's a small gesture, but little, genuine actions are what win people's hearts. He then puts on the jacket over his shoulders, a light scent of ocean and musk teasing his nose.