Chapter 2: What's your name?

"A bad peace is even worse than war." -Tacitus

I couldn't do much but stare, watching the alarmingly large and jagged fin of the unholy beast rise from the depths far past the shallows patrolling the outer sea beyond the cove.

Silence. That was all that filled my mind. That, and the large helping of shock. No words left my mouth, none I could think of at least.

Just silence and shock, nothing more.

I felt my legs give way under me and the cool water splash around me as I fell to my knees whilst I just stared...stared at the beast that took down the HMS Legacy.

And my crew.

The wind blew softly into my face, the smell of the sea in my nose. A smell I have had ingrained in my mind for the past four years on these seas.

I had fought the Spanish, French, and Dutch alike, Sank countless ships flying the dark color that declared the crime of piracy. I had hung countless cruel pirates on their Topgallants.

I was never bested by another sailor, never lost a single ship.

Until now.

From a beast, only God could understand.

It had happened so fast, one swift strike from the beast, one that cracked my frigate's hull with the tightening of its sharp-toothed jaw.

I was lucky enough to survive and escape the monster's sight in the dark depths.

And now only two of us survived, trapping me with a bloody pirate.

The pirate!

I spun around to locate the buccaneer and I saw almost as though from another's perspective, the pirate swung the driftwood connecting it with my head throwing me into unconsciousness...

Two weeks ago...

"Mr. Arrow, any sign of the fleet? Are we back on course?"

I asked as I left my stateroom and made my way to the helm, where my first mate and the helmsman dutifully stood. I rested my hand on the railing and observed the deck below.

I observed as the crew milled about below as we sailed on. Speaking amongst themselves and working.

A minute of surprising silence emerged from Mr. Arrow which was uncharacteristic for the rock man.

Far too long in my mind.

I turned on my heel and faced him.

"Say what robs you of your staunch heart, Mr. Arrow," I demanded with a raised brow, we needed results quickly and had no time to fret over our stalled and apprehensive nerves.

Mr. Arrow gave me a dreadful look before speaking.

"I'm afraid Captain, we are off course. The fleet is long gone and we are on unknown waves." The words in his voice hit me like a mallet causing my heart to plummet in my chest.

"Fret not we will find our way, Mr. Arrow as for now, we need to an island to rest and resupply. Some time ashore would do us all good before we try to get back on track and return to Kingston."

I faked sure confidence, though in reality I was terrified. I had never been lost on the seas before not all alone. I have only commanded ships into naval skirmishes led by a flagship in a fleet.