Chapter 66

Liam's POV

What in the actual hell?

There was only one word to describe the current state of our room. Hell. Oh and maybe a huge dose of disaster that hit our bedroom.

There were clothes everywhere. It was all Ryder's. But the empty liquor bottles that were scattered in the room came in at first place with how many they are.

And God, that smell.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust at the strong scent of liquor hanging in the air. Our bed was rumpled and looked like it hadn't been slept in a while.

As I took a step forward, my foot bumped on an empty bottle and it rolled away, creating a sound that grated on my nerves and my ears. I opted for a smile but it was as brittle as the patience I was trying to keep together.

While I was away to collect the pieces of myself and learn to love again and grow stronger, he was here trashing our room to the point that it looked like a dumpster.

Oh, I was angry. Pissed? Definitely.

When I decided to give him a piece of my mind and took one more step forward, another image came to mind that doused my anger. Seeing Ryder with a bottle on hand, just laying on our bed and looking out the window to stare at the rise and fall of the sun.

Drinking and drowning himself alone with alcohol. That strong and brooding vampire being helpless and miserable all because I was gone. A different kind of ache echoed in my chest causing my eyes to soften as I stared into the bed.

Ryder drank so he wouldn't feel. So he wouldn't think about me. But looking around, I believe that he failed miserably.

This realization came with the kind of pain that told me how much I affect him to the point that it came to this. But I also thought that he understood. I thought he knew why I had to leave and stay away for a while. From him.

I had to talk to him. I needed to talk to him. Maybe also chide him about how too much alcohol is bad for his health. I saw it happen way too many times to just turn a blind eye on it.

Taking a deep breath, I was about to open the door when suddenly it was forced open with a loud crash and swung at my direction. Thankfully, my vampire instincts reacted just in time.

My mind was just reeling off of what happened when my eyes locked on to him.

Ryder.

As if he was summoned by my thoughts.

It was like a dam of emotions broke inside of me upon seeing his face. He looked exhausted. His clothes were rumpled, he had a disheveled appearance, and his hair was mussed up like he'd been running his hands constantly through it.

Neither of us said anything as our gazes locked. It held and held until it turned heavy, and the air around us became charged with energy that it raised the hair on my arms. We were close enough that we were breathing the same air, and Ryder's body trembled, his presence and muscled built loomed before me, it tensed as his breathing got rougher and rougher.

He took one step forward and I reacted without thinking, taking mine backwards. Ryder didn't break our stare and continued to prowl towards me like a predator salivating over its prey.

"Ryder we need to-"

The sound of my voice made him shudder and his pupils turned red, making me slightly nervous and confused. I was about to sidestep him when my foot reached the wall behind me, causing me to stumble and get trapped against him.

"Ryder-" The moment my hand came into contact with his arm, electricity climbed up my fingers and traveled throughout my body. I gasped, and noticed it was the same with him because the hair on his arms rose and his fists were clenched tightly at his sides.