Chapter Forty-Two: Number One in My Heart.

Start from the beginning

That didn't seem to be the right response.  "What do you mean?" Mariam asked slowly.

"I-I mean wouldn't go after a friend's ex like that and if I did I would tell them, you know? I wouldn't do anything behind your back," Larine's blue eyes were wide as she explained and I almost reached for her hand if she wasn't already caught up in her words, "Assuming that we're friends. At least I think, well, I've been thinking that we're friends. Are we friends?"

Mariam softened, an apology arising in her eyes, "We're friends."

"Sorry for rambling," Larine sighed, "I know we all started off rough and I didn't want to be awkward by asking because people don't usually ask, you know?"

At that moment, I didn't think she had that many friends besides us. Or any friends that weren't connected to her ex. That didn't matter. I was happy that now she definitely had three people she could call her friends. And who could call her Riri whenever it seemed fit.

I put a comforting hand on her arm. "We're friends. Not roommates who tolerate each other. Wait, we're keeping this house for third year, right?"

Sounds of agreement came from the three of them. Exactly the way I wanted it.

"And I'm not doing anything with Iman," Larine said. "We share a few classes together 'cause we're both in comp sci and he's a great study partner but it's not like that--"

"No, you don't have to explain anything," Mariam groaned as if she was cringing at her previous question. "I was being weird about it. I'm sorry. Forget I said anything."

"Mari," My voice came out soft. She looked bothered. She was bothered. "You still love Iman, don't you? Even after everything with Kyle and any other guy."

Mariam scoffed, on the verge of denying it but she didn't. Instead, she frowned. Her perfect eyebrows knitted together as she looked down at the ground before looking up and helplessly shrugging. "He's not an easy guy to get over."

Her sentence made my top teeth dig into my bottom lip.

"You can't do that to him," Yasmeen said, her sharp eyes stuck to our friend. She looked irritated. As if months of talking to Iman to help him get over Mariam were about to go down the drain because of Mariam's words. I wasn't going to lie, a part of me was growing annoyed as well. "He's been trying—failing—but trying. Don't give him hope."

Mariam's eyes widened in surprise, "Yas--"

"She's right," I said. "Don't." They broke up for a reason. A good reason. They were not going to be on the same wavelength at this moment. They had past arguments that led to why broke up in the first place. If Iman found out that she was even contemplating them getting back together after the months apart? This was why no one told her that Iman broke Kyle's nose in defence of her.

Speaking of Kyle, his nose was healing. And when I found myself in apartment 704, a room with Aven and him was filled with cool tension, limited words and an underlying promise I had never asked about. Suffice to say, Kyle hasn't spoken to Iman since that day.

Mariam's focus flickered between me and Yasmeen's stern faces, the gears turning in her head before she faced Larine, "But if something does happen between you and Iman, can you tell me?"

I didn't think that was going to happen. The way Iman interacted with Larine was very similar to how he interacted with me and Yasmeen, in a sisterly manner but with added coding talk. Larine seemed to know that too but she nodded nevertheless for Mari's sake. "Of course."

We settled in silence after that before Mariam murmured, "I need to swear off men for a while."

"Is it bad if I say that that's one of the best things you've said all year?" Yasmeen muttered.