Samual: The Power Project - Chapter One

DISCLAIMER ⚠️: If you are still stuck reading the "James Knight: Teenage Superhuman" series and don't like spoilers, please skip this or wait until the series is finished. THERE ARE SPOILERS.

∆∆∆

In the past, I was an ordinary sixteen-year-old boy, considered average in many ways. However, I possessed a remarkable intellect and had a close friendship with my science teacher, Garrison Wright. Being a grade ahead made me a target for bullies, but I had my three brothers and two best friends, Dexter Marian and Danielle Scott, who were supportive despite our nerd status.

Dexter was a sporty jock, excelling in football and showing a keen interest in science and biology. He didn't care about the opinions of his friends and maintained our friendship. On the other hand, Danielle was a beautiful, intelligent, and athletic girl who stood out from the crowd of girls I typically found uninteresting. After a single kiss, our friendship took a romantic turn, a development I partly blamed on Dexter.

The pivotal moment that changed my life was when I found myself cornered by Jack McCoy, a bully who had it out for me. Things could have taken a dark turn if not for Mr. Wright's intervention. Fleeing to the boys' locker room, where the football team had taken my clothes, I was disoriented and injured. Jack closed in on me, his intentions clear, and I feared for my life.

Just as I thought my fate was sealed, Mr. Wright confronted Jack, asserting his authority and protecting me. A physical altercation ensued, with Mr. Wright risking his job to ensure my safety. As my consciousness wavered, I never could have anticipated that this event would lead to the awakening of my superpowers.

The day I got my superpowers was when Jack McCoy tried to beat me to a pulp. If it weren't for Mr. Wright, he would have killed me. I raced to a boys' locker room, half-naked in my boxers because the football team had stolen my clothes. I dodged open lockers and water from the showers. I quickly lost my footing as I turned the corner and smacked my head against frigid concrete. My eyes fluttered, and all I could see were the football boys' outlines hooting and hollering while I tried to sustain consciousness.

"Where's Dex-boy or your big brothers now, Sammie?" Jack growled, stepping forward under the locker room lights.

"They uh, they're—" I hesitated, looking around for something to defend myself with as he moved closer, his eyes locked on mine. Warm red blood oozed from my head, and the room spun. The heart in my chest sank. Was I destined to die in high school because of these punks?

"They're not here," Jack finished. I was not expecting this to be how I died, but it was a close second. Tinnitus, nausea, and vertigo kicked in as my eyes fluttered. Then, the door swung open, and what I hoped was my brawny brother Matthew turned out to be Mr. Wright, saving the day. Little did I know he would be the reason I gained superpowers.

"Back off," Mr. Wright roared at Jack. Jack's breath grew heavy as he turned on his feet. "Go home before I call your father, McCoy," he demanded.

"You're full of shit if you think you can tell me what to fucking do, Garrison. My dad will have you fired in a split second."

"Do you think I'm afraid of brats like you? Your dad may be a high-ranking school board member, but you're a nobody. So I'm ordering you to back off now."

"I don't take orders from anyone but my dad."

"You're a sick and twisted son of a bitch. What did Sam do to you?"

"Sam is at the top of the food chain. He breathes. That's what he did," Jack snarled.

My vision blurred. "You are a selfish son of a bitch," Garrison snapped at Jack again. Blood smeared on the concrete as I slowly lost consciousness, but there was silence until Mr. Wright slugged his fist into Jack's face. He was for sure getting fired, but he did this for me. Then, as my heart hammered slowly, the world faded, and I was out faster than a light switch.