Thirty-Three

MAX

Sunlight pierced through the curtains, casting its glow on Matt, still handcuffed to the heater vent. With a firm tug, one of his hands broke free, and he quickly removed the second cuff, tossing it aside as he flexed his wrists. It seemed the super blood had worked its magic, just as Alexander had promised.

"You bastard," Matt growled, his voice dripping with anger. "I'm going to bring you and your dad down. And if not me, then James will." He spat on the floor, turning to face me. I smiled, leaning in close, and whispered, "You do not know who my real father is, do you? Do you think Alexander is my dad? Well, he is your brother, I guess. Are you really that clueless?" I pushed him against the wall, wiping away the dried blood from his face. Matt stared at me in shock. "Uncle," I reminded him. "Matt." I patted his cheek, clearing the crusted blood. Matthew looked at me in utter disbelief.

"So, you're telling me you're my nephew? Which one of my other brothers is your father?" I moved closer, our noses almost touching, and smirked. "Sam keeps more secrets from you than you realize, mate." I scuffed the dirt off my shoe on the floor before him. Mia entered the room, carrying fresh clothing for my uncle.

"I stole from the thrift store down the street, just like you wanted, babe. It was a piece of cake," I said with satisfaction.

"Good job, babe," I commended her. Mia tossed the clothes at Matthew, making him flinch as they landed on him. "Put those on, Knight," I barked. "We're going out."

"Where's Mark?" Mia asked, confusion evident in her tone. She scanned the room but couldn't find Mark.

"He's busy with the plans. Tomorrow, we'll have James, Noah, Derek, and Sam exactly where we need them," I explained. Mia unzipped her hoodie and handed me a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

"I also got this for you. Thought it might come in handy to clean the blood off Matthew's face," she gestured towards my uncle. I took the bottle, opened the cap, and sniffed it before taking a small drink. "It's better this way," I grinned, letting the alcohol trickle down my throat. Mia rolled her eyes and pouted.

"That's dangerous, you know," she warned.

"Babe," I amusedly responded, taking another swig of the rubbing alcohol. "I don't bloody care."

I helped Matthew up from the floor and escorted him to the bathroom, making sure he wouldn't try to escape. For now, I made peace with him as he seemed to have gained more power. I waited outside the hotel restroom, and once he emerged, wearing a new set of clothes, we both wore dark hoodies. James' resemblance to his father irritated me. I pushed Matt out the door, urging him forward.

"Let's go," I urged him. We hurriedly made our way through the hotel, avoiding the police who had taken refuge on the first floor. I pulled my hoodie over my head, ensuring we wouldn't be recognized. Mia brushed past us.

"Mia, what are you doing here?" a cop questioned as she drew their attention away, causing them to focus on the room's opposite corner.

"I was visiting a friend," she replied, knocking over a watered plant. "Oops," she chuckled.

"Go," I commanded Matt, pushing him forward. He winced at the force but then relaxed, feeling safe. We were dressed in black as we cautiously peeked around the grassy hill where we stood. The morning sun dipped behind the mountains, painting the sky in shades of purple, orange, and pink. A thin layer of fog blanketed the hilltops.

Voices of police officers, their words echoing like a chorus of sirens, filled the air while the smell of damp grass and decay greeted our nostrils.

Matt's ebony hair was disheveled, his eyes bloodshot and teary, but I could tell he wouldn't run. Despite being physically larger than me, he seemed so much smaller. He resembled an abandoned house, a mere shell of its former grandeur, yet still standing.