Thirty-One

MARK

Turning at the sound of a distant siren and red lights flashing in the distance, I hobbled through the quiet suburban city streets on my cast foot, faithfully alongside my furry friend Gruffly. The recent events weighed heavily on my mind, and I was uncertain about James and his family. Little did I know that destiny had something else in store for James.

James was still in. James wore a baggy, red hoodie with the words "Alpha Is My Homie" in white letters, sweats, sunglasses, and black high-top sneakers. He was tall but not overly so. His hair was short, and he had a 'Hollywood bad boy' look but in a boy-next-door way. I ran past houses with brick facades. I couldn't afford to get caught. The police were hot on his trail.

Gruffly barked and charged at him, forcing James to untangle himself, but he failed so poorly I had to force myself to bite my tongue and choke down laughter. I had complete control of the leash for a second before Gruffly got a tummy rub from my enemy. Gruffly was tangled between James's feet, nipping and licking his ankles. My dog did it when he could sense anxiety or depression, and after what James went through, I didn't blame him if he did have some of that.

"Hey, Knight!" I called, my voice pierced the tranquility. "At least Gruffly still likes you." James clenched his fists, attempting to steady his trembling nerves. "Leave me alone, Mark," he snapped, his voice tinged with defiance. Unyielding, I closed the distance, casting a dark shadow over James.

"What's the matter, Knight?" I sneered. "Afraid I'll take away your special powers? You didn't need them, anyway." Looking around to see if Max or Alexander was still watching, I took a sharp breath when I noticed nothing but the wind. James winced, his vulnerability laid bare by my words. But amidst the turmoil, an unexpected confession spilled from my lips.

"You already took them, Mark. And I'm tired of you always fucking with me," James confessed, his voice quivering with fear and the raw longing for justice.

I arched my brows, my eyes briefly meeting his as Gruffly lay still in his lap. A flicker of remorse traversed my mind. "Look, Knight. I didn't mean for things to go this far. I didn't know the cure would work," I confessed, a hint of guilt now mingling with my words. And to be honest, I liked him better with superpowers.

Confusion clouded James' gaze, his anger slowly giving way to curiosity. "What do you mean, Mark?" Taking a deep breath, I grappled with my emotions, my conscience yearning for redemption. I argued with myself about whether to come out of the closet, but something inside me told me to stay hidden for the time being.

"They set me up, Knight. It wasn't my fault. They forced me into it. I didn't expect this to happen," I admitted, my voice laced with sincerity. James stared at me, a mix of confusion and a glimmer of hope swimming in his eyes. Can James gain back his powers? Could he stop Alexander? Maybe? Part of me hoped he could.

"What about Mia? Is she in trouble, too?" James asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

My shoulders slumped, my regret palpable. "She likes Max... But, I came here to tell you, your Dad... he..." I shifted uncomfortably before releasing a loud whistle. "Gruffly, come."

"Where's my Dad, Mark?"

James' eyes were bloodshot and red, black underneath his right eye, and his face was blotchy from crying. The tears from his eyes fell to the ground, creating muddy puddles.

James' eyes opened wide, his pupils dilated and dark. His nostrils flared as he breathed, his breath heavy and hot. His lips trembled, and the hairs on his neck stood up.

Tears welled in James' eyes. His hands shook as he held Gruffly's collar. His face flushed, and anger of red crept to the surface. Gruffly's eyes were wide with fear, his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth, his breathing fast and shallow.