Chapter 36 ~ The Mourning Sun

Meg's POV

I slowly walked into the place and saw that it was a bar. But something about it seemed different from other bars I knew about. Suddenly A hand was on my shoulder and alcohol reached my senses. I sighed and turned around frowning seeing a man with messy hair smelling horrible.

"wooh I like em' fiesty!" He said obviously he hasn't been drinking much but still. I sighed and crossed my arms.

"Keep searching" I said firmly and then backed away as he was being pushed out the door by a woman.

"Out Bruce!" She said and kicked him in the butt. Causing him to fall on the ground then he groaned and went on his way mumbling. We watched him on his way out. Walking outside and saw him limping slightly. Muttering something with the word's, whore and bitch coming out of his mouth. But it sounded like 'warp' and 'Pitch.' 'Ah There's the slurring.' I smirked and looked at the woman.

"Thank you." She looked at me and smiled nodding her head.

"Anytime sugar! That damned Bruce. Always getting himself into to much "trouble." If ya know what I mean." I laughed and nodded. She was a sprightly woman. Brown with bit's of gray hair. Hazel eyes, a slightly large frame and a kind smile.

"I understand" My smiled faded as I remembered Nadir and I closed my eyes suppressing more tears.

"Oh my dear! What's wrong?" I shook my head and smiled sniffing slightly.

"No, it's nothing I'm fine." I said and rubbed my arms. Though the sun was beginning to shine it was still cold out.

"Well you're not going to get anywhere in the cold. Come on inside and tell  Aunt Cecilia what's the matter." I nodded as she led me back inside and towards the back at a table. "LARRY! I'm gonna need a hot plate of your best breakfast and hot tea! Please! Stat!" Cecilia, I guess, sat me down at the table and wrapped her shall around me. Giving me a soft smile. "I'll be back very soon sweetie." I halfheartedly sent a smile back before watching her go into the kitchen. I flinched when I heard plates crashing and a lot of yelling. Well more light friendly fighting. But soon that faded in the back of my mind as I looked out the window thinking of him. Closing my eyes to fight back tears as those memories kept replaying in my mind. I then jerked back up as I heard the door swing open and a couple more people came in here. A Lady and a gentleman. Kissing as she left to probably go perform. That still hurt for me to see. The couple reminded me a lot of Christine and Erik. Sighing I looked back at the table to see a huge plate of sweet pancakes, potatoes, eggs and hot tea. I looked up and saw Cecilia.

"Thank you" I said again gently and stared at it as Cecilia sat down.

"You know you won't be able to eat if you just stare at it getting cold." I nodded and slowly started eating. Actually it was pretty good. I started eating more and more.

"This is delicious!" Cecilia giggled and nodded.

"Thank you Honey. That Larry here is a great cook! He and I worked hard to get here. We're not lovers or anything just really great friends." She smiled and I looked around.

"It's a beautiful place here." I looked back at the stage to see one girl with red wavy hair and dancing all over the place. Giggling I turned back to Cecilia.

"This is a beautiful place." I said kindly.

"Oh dear thank you. That girl over there is Jenny. She's a dancer and a darn good helper here as a prostitute." I froze and turned back around forcefully.

"Prostitute?!" Standing up forcefully knocking the chair down

"Calm down sunshine! And Be careful!" I sighed and picked up the chair and sat down. "Now we do what we need to do to keep this place running. We ain't proud of it but it's all we can do in this cruel part in life. Our income is coming in very slowly and we had to let go of a lot of people. Now we might loose the place in a few months if we stop."

"But is it just her?"

"Oh heavens no! But our other two gals don't come in till late. At the moment they're resting for tonight."

"Two others?"

"Well I cannot afford any more than that." I thought for a moment and then smiled brightly.

"I can do it! I can work for free! And I bet it will roll in more costumers if I dance too!" Cecilia looked at me like I was crazy.

"Sweety this isn't something I take lightly. And dance? You?" I smirked and got up taking off my coat and shawls. As soon as Jenny was done I went up and danced my heart out. Dancing out part of Swan Lake. Odette's death scene. Christine and I alternated the part in the Opera Populare. Once I was done I was breathing heavily. Looking up I saw Jenny, what looked like to be Larry and Cecilia all having shocked and impressed looks on their faces. Slowly I stood up and walked off.

"My dear that was amazing! Superb! Outstanding! Oh if you want a dancing job I'll be happy to give it to you!" I giggled and nodded.

"I'll accept... but only if you allow me to be a prostitute too. I won't take the offer if you don't." I said firmly. Letting her looked over me as I kept my composure.

"Oh...Alright. You may have both jobs. OH! Forgive me! I haven't asked for your name! May I have the honor of knowing your name?" I smiled and cleared my throat.

"My name is Meg; Meg Giry."

Christine's POV

I woke up the next morning and took care of the girls. Getting dressed and ready for today. I left Erik sleeping because Lord only knows he truly needs it after everything that's happened. In the kitchen I was making breakfast. Meg's favorite actually. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly. I prayed every day she would find the strength and the heart to get through this. Being there for her every step of the way. Slowly I walked up the stairs as to not to spill her food and drink. Gently I softly knocked on the door.

"Meg? It's me Christine are you awake?" Nothing for a few seconds. I didn't know if she was asleep or just not responding. So I tried again. "Meg?" Still nothing. Odd though, even if she was asleep she would've woken up and slightly opened the door and took the tray inside. I knocked again and still no answer. Suddenly the door slightly opened and creaked. It should've been locked though. 'Something's not right.' I thought as I slowly walked in and set the tray down. Turning on the lights I gasped and screamed. Meg's bed was empty. Rushing to the bathroom, I saw it was empty too. Looking around the entire room. Still no Meg. The Window was my only option at this point. But still it would've let in a slight breeze. But it was still locked. I sighed and ran my hands through my hair and sat down on the bed. Trying to regain myself and keep calm as I breathed deeply. I then noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Turning my head I noticed a small white envelope between two pillows. Quickly grabbing the note I read it. Then again. And Again. And once more. I kept shaking my head and kept crying as I kept rereading the letter. Lost in my thoughts I didn't realize somebody else was in the room till I felt a hand on my shoulder. Gasping I turned around and saw Erik.

"Christine what's the matter? I heard screaming and-" I shoved him the note as he read it over and over too. Then looked at me. "Where was this?"

"Between the pillows on the bed." I said and wiped away a few tears. My best friend had run away. I kept shaking my head as Erik came to comfort me.

"Shhh, we'll find her. Everything will turn out alright." He encouraged to me. Then left the room. Gently pulling me along. He went to quickly get dressed and rushed downstairs to where I was already waiting. "Christine, no."

"Erik it's my best friend here who's run away."

"I know, believe me I know how much you want to get Meg back. But we don't know which way she went or where she went too. I need you here to comfort Antoinette let alone take care of our kids. I'm not much of that person to do that." Looking down I nodded as he embraced me and held me gently. Crying slightly and hard over this. After a few minutes he pulled away and kissed me softly. "I promise to bring her back."

"I know you will." I smiled slightly and let him go. Sighing I held myself in that one spot for a few more minutes before leaving and preparing myself for the news. I went back to Meg's room and my eyes widened when I saw Madame Giry sitting on the bed. Letter in hand. Softly she spoke.

"She's gone..." I slowly came up behind her and held her tightly as she cried into my shoulder.

'Oh Meg....where on earth did you go?'