Pit of nerves

Spoilers to Episode 3 of the game. You've been warned, I wish you luck on these emotional rollercoasters yet to come. If you consider them that.

Every step up the stairs to Wagner's office made my heart beat faster. I had this gut feeling that something major was going to occur. But it's not one of happiness.

Knocking on the door the silence on the other side made me gulp nervously. Suddenly the door opened in front of me and Wagner grabbed my wrist pulling me inside. His hand was boney and cold, which made my breath catch in my throat.

"What have you found out?" He walked to his desk

"Nothing much sir-"

"If you keep saying that everytime you come here I'll send you to headquarters. I need information about this case and the people here." He sighed

"Yakov is getting suspicious of me, Oliver is very loyal to you, and Ruf doesn't seem like her normal self." I'm growing worried what telling him this information could do

"What do you mean Ruf isn't like herself?"

"Ever since the mission when I'm around she seems nervous or guarded."

Wagner shrugged like he was thinking of why she would do that. After a few seconds of him thinking he couldn't come up with anything. I glanced at the top of his desk and seen an envelope.

"While you're here, I found out who you once were." He gave me the folder

Once I opened it my heart stopped for a second. My actual name was listed, but in the top right corner was marked "deserter".

"Does this mean-" My eyes widened

"You left during the war. If anyone finds out you're a deserter or if headquarters finds you, you'll be shot by a firing squad." Wagner had some look in his eyes betrayal, revenge, maybe even fear

"This can't be true." I could feel my body fill with fear

"Nobody has survived after being a deserter, you should've thought about your escape better because now you're on wanted lists."

"So- why don't you just report me?" My voice got caught in my throat

"I need someone to figure this case out and I think you have some potential."

Looking at the document more I could feel tears rise into my eyes. The world became blurry from either tears or panic. All I know is that I can't be caught.

"I would hate to see you executed but you must learn that actions have consequences." Wagner sat in his chair

"What are you going to do to me?"

"It's not me, it's what they'll be doing." He smirked

"They'll?"

"I've ordered the special squad to perhaps hurt you a bit."

"Do they know about what I did?" I asked

"Of course not, I must be leaving. A general is coming to interview the special squad and check my work. Whatever you do don't leave this room." He walked out

My heart was beating against my chest rapidly. The air felt thick and warm. I decided to look around the room to get my mind off of the situation.

Going through papers, folders, and notebooks I never found anything suspicious. Looking at a painting on the wall it fell off suddenly. There was a small hole in the wall which appears to be a room behind it. Doesn't seem to be a way to get there from here.

Footsteps grew closer to the door which made me tense up. I hurried and hid in a closet as I heard the door open. Wagner was speaking to a higher up general.