(10) Confession?

"you...ah..what?" I stuttered, unable to process this development. 

Asher likes me? Since when!?

Asher smiled, "honestly, when you helped me that one day....I fell in love."

I blinked once, twice, then another three times until I could process what he was saying.

This felt too unreal- like I was inside a novel ( although I am it's too unrealistic ).

"Are...are you sure you like me?" I asked, just to confirm my fantasy.

Asher rolled his eyes before moving his wheelchair closer to me and hugging my waist, "I do like you Rayne..."

I smiled with such a bright smile and hugged Asher back, "I like you too!"

Little did Rayne know that Asher had a dark look on his face behind her back....

ASHER'S POV

At the start of dinner Asher wasn't surprised when Rayne sat next to him- she's been pestering him lately, he assumed to make his brother jealous. 

When Rayne greeted him, he made sure to put on a shocked expression, but then nodded coldly and looked away.

"Maybe she will leave me alone..?" Asher hoped.

She did thankfully leave him alone and nothing eventful happened- up until dessert. 

"Rayne? What about you?"

When his father asked that question Asher was curious, Rayne has been ignoring his brother as of lately, so maybe she will play that card girls like to play...hard to get.

"I'd...rather not,"

"I like someone else, I misspoke before I apologize"

Now Asher was genuinely shocked, this was Rayne's moment, and she threw the opportunity away. 

Does she really like someone else? If so who?

Asher decided to follow after them, his parents were too busy having a frustrating discussion with Rayne's parents to notice his disappearance.

Asher finally caught up to them and heard-

"You're jealous of Jessica? I can't ever marry her anyways. Besides, this marriage will help both our families."

Although Elliot leaned in and whispered at the last part, Aher has surprisingly good hearing and heard everything he said.

"Do you think I don't know the one you like is my ugly step brother? Neither of our parents will ever accept you marrying a cripple. Although I don't know what you see in that prick, if you marry me you'll at least be closer to him. Isn't that great?"

Asher was surprised, Rayne actually liked him.

Sadly, he feels nothing for the girl who previously crushed after his brother- he finds it repulsive. 

Asher saw Eliott look towards him and smirk, seemingly thinking that Asher didn't hear the last part.

Oh...so that's how it is. 

Asher knew his brother was trying to destroy any attempt at happiness he could have, the last time someone liked Asher they were seduced and then dumped by his brother in the same week. 

This happened every single time, and Rayne shouldn't be the exception. 

Although Asher didn't care when Eliott seduced the last couple of girls who like him, he felt compelled to keep Rayne to himself.

So- he lied. He lied and said he liked Rayne.

While Asher was hugging Rayne, he had a dark smirk on his face and thought, "I'll beat you at your own game brother...I know you hate losing to me and this time you won't win."