(4) Lunch

Beautifully Edited by UltiDeduction

Class had dragged on for what seemed like ages, until the bell finally rang, signaling the end of class.

I immediately jumped up and turned towards Asher, "Do you want anything for lunch...?"
Asher gave me a sideways glance and didn't answer me.

It takes time, I say to myself. I got up to go to the cafeteria, following the crowd of students spilling into the cafeteria.

Surprisingly, the line was rather short. Most people must have gotten their food already.

I looked at the large menu posted on the wall.There were appetizers, entrees, palate cleansers, and desserts. The appetizer section alone was divided into several subsections such as soup. There was winter melon soup, miso soup, cream of mushroom soup, cream of cauliflower soup, pumpkin soup, gazpacho, and much more.

I couldn't possibly dream of being able to choose between such a wide selection of food. At least half of what was listed on the board were names of dishes I never heard of.

What surprised me the most, however, was that every student could buy their lunches for free and buy as many dishes as they wish. In the corner of the eye, I spotted one of my female classmates ordering six dishes of fillet mignon.

I was trying to decide what to get before a voice interrupted me.

"I recommend the lobster tail. It's really good."
I looked around to see if there was anyone beside me.

"Yes, I'm talking to you." The voice giggled.
I turned my head to find a girl with shoulder-length brown hair and big chestnut brown eyes smiling back at me.

"A-Alright, thank you." I replied, returning her smile. I had to fight the urge to look down at my shoes.

"Two lobster tails please!" I shouted over the counter.

A moment later, the lunch lady served the two lobster tails. I couldn't help but drool at the sight.

The lobster tail was carefully cut in half, exposing the golden lobster meat concealed underneath. The meat was further garnished with a thin layer of garlic butter, providing the meat with a beautiful sheen. To top it all off, it was seasoned with thyme, bringing out the delicious flavors of the dish. The lobster was like a butterfly during its metamorphosis, full of mysteries and delights to entice the viewer.

I quickly wiped off my drool, lifting my tray off the counter.

"Hey, I'm Layla. About what you said in class...did you mean it?"

I jerked my head back in surprise, "Of course I did. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said it."

Without waiting for her reply, I turned to walk out of the lunchroom. Asher is probably waiting for me.

"W-Wait don't go to the class-"

She stopped herself.

I tilted my head, "Why...?"

Her eyes turned as wide as saucers, "Don't you know what happens during lunch?"

Of course I know, that's why I need to go. I continued on my way, carefully balancing my tray.

As soon as I slid open the classroom doors, I was greeted by the sight of Asher lying on the floor next to his wheelchair and Elliott with a sadistic grin on his face.

Although Elliott didn't mess around with Asher because he was busy pursuing Jessica, it didn't mean that he would pass up an opportunity to humiliate Asher.

I sighed, calmly placing the tray on a nearby table.
"I came to give my desk mate some lunch and I was planning on eating with him, if you don't mind..." I said with a strained smile.

Elliott and his gang stared at me, dumbfounded. Ignoring them, I bent down and asked Asher, "Need help?"

He just studied me for a bit before getting up with a bit of effort.

I didn't mind his distant attitude towards me. As long as I get to see him, I'll be at ease.

Elliott finally snapped out of his daze when Jessica walked into the room. It's like Elliott completely forgot about everything that had just transpired. He immediately strided over and went to introduce himself.

'Is that what happens when you fall in love?' I wondered.

I didn't notice the dark gaze focused on me.