"sleepover at kate's," tillie answered. "is that okay?"

the older woman narrowed her eyes on her. "i suppose so. just don't eat anything, okay? we really need you to lose that extra weight."

"right. i won't." tillie nodded. "um, well i need to go. i'll be back tomorrow after school."

"i don't really care when you're back, matilda. you could be gone for weeks and it wouldn't phase me."

tillie swallowed and looked down, tucking a small strand of hair behind her ear. she turned on her heels and began heading towards the front door, when her mother spoke out to her again.

"matilda, have you seen a van parked down the street? i've noticed it a few times now," she stated.

"uh, no," the younger blonde responded. "but i'll keep my eye out."

"i'm thinking i should report it. it really brings the neighborhood down."

"you do that, mother," tillie replied, before slipping out of the front door and walking down the street to said van.

eddie leant across and opened her door for her, grabbing her bag as she climbed in.

"you're on my mother's hitlist," she told him.

"what? really?" he laughed. "i'm honored. why am i on it?"

"this damn van," she informed him amusedly, plugging her seatbelt in. "it really 'brings down the neighborhood'."

"oh, sorry," eddie replied. "i'm ruining the rich, white person vibe,"
he began pulling out of his parking spot and driving down the street. "better get out of here while i still can."

"it's a scary place for people like you," she commented with a sigh, before the two of them dropped the act and began laughing.

eddie looked over at her, admiring her grin. "you look happier."

she turned to face him and their eyes connected. "i feel happier."

eddie smiled, before asking, "are you hungry? shall we go get dinner?"

immediately, tillie began shaking her head. "oh, no, i'm fine."

"mattie.."

"really, eddie. i'm not hungry. i'm fine," she told him, but in reality she could feel her stomach itching for food.

"when was the last time you ate?" eddie questioned, struggling to keep his eyes focused on the road and not the beautiful blonde seated beside him.

"i had two apple slices last night," she replied in a quiet tone.

"anything today?"

she knew there was no point in lying to him, as he'd see right through her. she gently shook her head.

suddenly, eddie made an abrupt turn to the left, continuing to drive casually.

"eddie, the trailer park is that way," tillie told him, pointing in the opposite direction.

"i know," he smiled. "we're going for food. now listen, if you think danah's milkshakes are good, just wait until you try one of her burgers."