Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

      "You're hurting me," she gasped.

      "Am I? This is nothing compared to what I will do to you if you don't turn around and go back to where you came from," Alek replied in a low hiss. "There is nothing but pain and death for all of you in Ninguid."

      "Alek–"

      He released her with a hard shove, cutting her off and causing her to cry out in surprise. She stumbled backwards before falling and hitting the corner of the chest on her way down, nearly upsetting the lantern resting on it.

      Looking up at him from the floor, she saw Alek's dark expression shift and for the briefest of moments she caught a glimpse of the man she had fallen in love with. As quickly as it had come, however, it was gone, swallowed up by darkness.

      "Heed my warning, Claire," he said, stepping towards her. "I will kill you myself if it comes down to it."

      "Alek, stop it, this isn't you," Claire replied as he began to turn away. "I don't know what happened or what kind of spell you're under, but this isn't you and you have to fight it! You have–"

      "Spell?" He chuckled and crouched down. "You really are a stupid girl. This isn't some fairy tale, and you certainly aren't the heroine," he laughed again, "you're useless, nothing but dead weight, you always have been." He paused and smiled.

      "I am grateful for one thing, however... if it hadn't been for you, I never would have found her."

      Her?

      "Who?"

      Alek smirked and rose.

      "The Queen of Wintershold, future ruler of all of Oria, Eira Torvandor. Her beauty is indescribable and she... oh, come now, Claire, don't look so hurt," he said, offering a mocking frown. "I'm sure you'll find some bumbling idiot to cater to your every whim..."

      A sharp knock gave him pause.

      "Claire? Is everything okay?" Draz called out, the concern in his voice obvious even though it was muffled by the door..

      "See what I mean?"

      Before Claire could respond, the door burst open and Draz rushed in, flames already twisting around his fingers.

      "I thought I heard voices – what the hell... Alek?"

      "What's the matter, Haval? Are you worried?" Alek said with a sneer. "Haven't I given you enough time to make a move?"

     "We've been looking everywhere for you and you want to make jokes?" Draz replied, the flames flaring brighter as his anger grew.

      Alek smirked and took a step back. "Remember what I said..."

      "Wait!"

      He paused.

      "Look me in the eye and tell me ... tell me that you don't love me, and I'll go back and never think of you or this place again."

      Once again she saw the struggle, the war he seemed to be fighting within himself as his fist clenched and unclenched at his sides, and his eyes shifted away from her.

      Taking the opportunity to act, Draz lunged towards him but connected with nothing but air as Alek disappeared in a flurry of snow and ice.

      The flames quickly died away as Draz turned towards Claire who still sat motionless on the floor by the bed.

      "What the hell was that all about? What did he say to you? What do you need to remember?" Draz asked, his confusion evident in the rapid fire manner in which he questioned her.