Chapter 2~~~Pronounce it!

The party had gone on for a while now. I sat across from Chisom as I stuffed two puff puffs into my mouth. They were from her mother's bakery, I could tell; I've had enough of them to know.

Mother was yelling again. My guess was she was in the kitchen. Why would she be yelling in the kitchen, in the middle of the night?

Wait..

Something didn't add up...

"NENYE...!!"

Wait, that voice, I know that voice. It's...

"NENYE!! Ahn ahn"

"Ma!" I yelled, eyes still closed.

"Won't you come out? What Kind of sleep is this?"Mother shouted.

Her voice echoing in our rather empty house. I'm sure the neighbors wondered why she was yelling so early in the morning.

I got off the bed, careful not to wake my sister. Though mother's shouting would have woken her, even if she was in a coma.

I turned to see if I was right... She wasn't there. I rushed out, almost slamming into the wall.

"Mummy, mummy...I can't find Nnenna" I said, the panic slipping out of my voice as I stared at Nnenna, happily munching on a piece of bread.

Mother shook her head slowing before walking back into the kitchen.

"You always sleep and forget yourself ehn. Confusion.com" She said, from the kitchen.

"Where's daddy?"

Nnenna; my little sister by five years, asked.

"Eat up" She said, not looking at anyone. "Or we would be late"

I pulled out the wooden chair and sat. I did as I was told.

***** ***** *****

I took the stairs two at a time till I got to the top. I quicky dashed into the classroom, I was already a class late. I made it to my seat and just as I sat, someone tapped my shoulder from behind.
I smiled already knowing who it was.

"So, why are you late?" Chisom asked me, a bored look on her face.

" I woke up late" I said as she rolled her 'cat eyes' at me.

" You missed first period!" Her voice, high-pitched as usual.

I laughed.

"I'm glad. It was Maths, right?"

"Someone shot those two girls up" Mr Ubong, our English teacher, said in a heavy accent before Chisom could reply. His accent made it hard to understand the English he taught and him generally.

We kept quiet and I returned my attention to the board.
"What are your names?" He asked
We stood up, after exchanging glances.

This was our first time having his class this term and we were already stirring up trouble.

"Sorry sir. We didn't notice you in the class" Chisom tried, but he wouldn't have it.

"Is that what I asked you. Answer me my friend! What is your name?"

"Chisom Michael" She said, looking down at her book, trying to avoid his piercing gaze.

"And you, 'talk talk'?" He asked, referring to me.

"Chinenye Augustus Ahamefuna" I said, my voice, hoarse as usual

The whole class was staring at us. I felt stupid.

"Sit down" Mr Ubong commanded. "And never you talk in my class again" He said before turning to write 'punctuations' in huge capital letters on the board.

English rolled out fast, mostly with Mr Ubong writing and occasionally turning to shush noise makers.

I was counting down the seconds till the end of his class. It was suppose to have been twelve minutes ago. Dang time-keeper needed a new watch.

Ahh... The sweet sound of the bell.

The current teacher left and the class got rowdy.

"Good morning class" Mr Peters greeted.

"Goo...d Mo...rning Sir!" We replied, half-heartedly.

"I am your new form tutor, Mr Peters, so if you need anything, you come to me. I will also select a new class monitor, who will be in charge of the class in the absence of a teacher. He or she will also take daily attendance but until then, I'll take the attendance. It says here that you're thirty-four in number" He said, looking down at the folder in his hands.
"If you hear you're name you say 'Present'. Alright..."

My mind zoned out as he started calling out the names, starting from the names that began with the letter 'A'.

He was taking too long. Can't he do this some other time. I was deep in thought until his stuttering brought me back to the class.

"Augus... Augustus Aha..Aham.."

"Present!" I croaked. Stupid hoarse voice.

" Aham.... Ahama..Ahame..."

"Sir, present!" I said louder.

"Where is he?" He asked, looking around.

The class laughed.

I raised my hand.
"Present sir!" For the third time.

"Pronounce your name. You're even a girl sef. What tribe are you?" He asked as the class burst out laughing again.

"Augustus Ahamefuna Chinenye" I said in one breath.

"What tribe is that? Ebira?" He asked as I took my seat.

"I'm igbo Sir"

"Ehn... You don't look igbo oh, even the name doesn't sound Igbo." He said. "Do you speak Igbo?" He asked again.

I was getting fed up. "Yes sir!" I said, pretending to be reading my note. What note was it sef?

"That's good, that's good". He cleared his throat. "Alright, Bayo David?" He continued with the names.

"Benjamin Godwin?"

Benjamin was lucky, two English names. No way any teacher was going to spoil it. I sighed.

Well, Mr Peters is on my black list. That's right, I have a black list.

Second chapter done. What do you think? Did anyone have the same experience with their names back in school? I did.
If you like this chapter consider giving it a vote. Thanks;)