Chapter 15

"Welcome to the District Combine." Billy claps his hands together as Asher sneaks into the room. "For those of y'all who do not know me or have not had the pleasure of getting their tails beat down by me or my team, I'm Coach Billy Baker, co-hosting alongside the college sponsors that are here in the building. Let's give it up."

I pat Asher on the back. "Good luck today."

He smiles and nods his head. "Thanks, Sam."

"Excuse me, Sammie-Sam." A familiar voice says from behind me, I didn't have to even turn around to find out who the voice belongs to. There's only one person who calls me that, but I still turn around to find Chris and Cameron standing behind me.

"Hey!" I move away from the door, greeting Chris with a tight embrace because this the last place I thought I see him. "What are you doing here?"

"Coach King said we gotta thanks Spencer." Chris grins. "He put the word out for Crenshaw, he came over and scouted Cameron and me for today."

"That's big!" I smile. "I hope today goes well for the both of you."

Due to me being on leave from football, I'm not able to be apart of the combine. Nobody who wasn't a coach or attending the combine wasn't allowed into the room, but I lingered in the back and stayed out of sight. I wasn't staying long, just long enough to know Spencer knows that even if we're both not competing in the combine — I'm still supporting from the sidelines. Always.

Whatever Cameron had said to Spencer, it was definitely getting under his skin; and if I noticed, somebody else did too. It seems like every time Spencer did something then Cameron would outdo him. Cameron would run a mile longer, jump an inch higher, weigh a pound more, or bench more. I knew Chris was proud of Cameron and Spencer, but he was not going to get between their problems and focused on himself.

The sound of the metal bar slapping together had a familiar sound to it. Like gunshots.

Bang!

Bang!

Bang!

The too started to spin, I manage to slip out the room and press my back against the wall; trying to get myself together. Closing my eyes and taking deep breaths to calm my nerves, I should have left as soon as Chris and Cameron went in. Once I'm calmed down, I sent a text to Spencer informing that I was heading back home so he didn't have to bother looking for me after. Even if I could stay longer, I probably wasn't; my younger self did not work this hard for me to be back on the bench watching, I find it a little embarrassing and kind of insulting.

I caught the bus back home, Olivia offered but I just wanted some time to myself. Yeah, I was proud of everybody for getting the opportunity to compete in the combine, especially, Chris and Cameron because Crenshaw doesn't get those kind of opportunities. But I'll be lying if I said I didn't feel a way about not being able to compete, get the opportunity that many people will be leaving with after tonight. And I'll be home.

When I got home, Mom, Dillon, and I sat in the living room, trying to bypass the time by watching something on TV while we wait for Spencer. I'm sure none of us were actually interested in the movie, the tension in the air was palpable.

Eventually the sound of keys jingling had the three of us jumping to our feet, Spencer walks into the house — looking anything but happy. "Baby." Mom starts, holding out her arms as she walks towards him.

"Don't feel bad, Spence." I tell him as I walk near him. "If you didn't get one then we can just stay home and watch some movies, I'll even let you pick them this time. We'll get more opportunities so don't let this one bum you out."