She pulled over onto the side of the road next to an old playground.

"I'm going to show you something," she said, winking at me.

We got out, and I followed her through the park to an old, twisted oak tree. It was tall enough but had never had to fight for the precious sunlight. So, instead of achieving height, it grew thick and spread, the perfect tree for a playground.

She walked almost to the enormous trunk of the tree but stopped short. We were near an old metal chain link fence separating the playground from a steep bank to the railroad tracks below. Joy looked back at me, smiled, and reached for my hand.

She was lovely in the morning sun. Her hair was up the way she wore it most of the time. The growing light highlighted the different shades of brown and even gold you would not usually notice. It hung in long soft tendrils down her neck. I fought the urge to reach out, put my arms around her waist, and pull her close. I took her hand instead and let her draw me in.

She stood in front of me and held my arm around her waist.

"You see it?" She asked.

"No, see what?"

She pointed with her free arm up and away from the park to an oak limb stretching out over the fence, high over the railroad tracks. I followed the aim of her finger. It took me a second or two, but then I saw it; a tiny blue Christmas ball suspended from copper wire wrapped around one of the smaller limbs.

"Pluto," I smiled.

She leaned her head against me, finally resting her arm.

"Pluto," she agreed.

I stared out at the tiny glass ball shimmering in the morning sun. How long had it hung there unnoticed? How long would it be there? It would be anyone's guess, just like the rest of the marvelous little planets in her solar system. I couldn't help myself and put my other arm across her shoulders and held her close. I felt a sad mix of anticipation and betrayal.

"Joy, I thought you were going to go back to school and pay everything off and leave all this behind you,' I finally said, almost mumbling the words.

"Oh, I am. I am. In fact, I have already cleared up a good bit of it."

She turned to me, looked me in the eyes, and rested her arms on my shoulders.

"I've already been accepted into UC of Santa Cruz. If I can get my shit together, I can start in Fall."

She was smiling, and it was good to see. She deserved it, deserved it all, and had certainly worked for it. I had missed seeing it in the couple of days I had been gone too.

"I probably won't," she added, "but definitely by the Winter quarter. I think a California winter would be nice for a change."

I had to agree.

"What about..." Before I could get it out, she held her finger to my lips.

"Nothing. No. Not my finest moment either, I admit," Joy said, blushing a little.

"He was always my weak spot. Not anymore, though," she shook her head as if in disbelief.

"You know, a little hair of the dog that bit you," she finished, smiled softly at me, and kissed my cheek slowly, lingering a moment or two.

"I know what you mean," I half-whispered.

I did too. Had Sofi come to me, I would have taken her back in an instant. Sometimes you are weak for someone until you get them out of your system. Couldn't hold that against her.