Part 23

Friday 9:40 AM

"Okay, Nick, these bike shops are barely managed Chinese fire drills. They're all the same, everyone's a character, everyone's got a damn story they want to tell, and everyone's a big shot. We know Mystic didn't drop the bike off himself, at least, I doubt it. Maybe he does ride," she thought a second longer over her coffee cup.

"Anyway, I will call in a minute here and give them the heads up that we'll be picking it up. Going to tell them to go ahead and get the bill ready finished or not. I'll ask stupid questions like whether they can accept cash or not and who we should mention when we give them a kick-ass review; that sort of ego-stroking stuff goes a long way with these clowns."

"I've owned a couple of bikes, Joy," I nodded.

"You've got it about right."

She did too. Once I had a bike serviced and managed to leave without paying because the service writer never ran my credit card payment through. I had to call and give it to them over the phone. A managed fire drill was right.

Joy finished her coffee and moved her cup to the table's edge to get a refill on the waiter's next pass. She pulled her cell phone from her purse and dialed the number. I watched as her expression changed. In fact, her whole demeanor, body language, and tone changed. It was amazing to watch an actor getting into character.

"Hello there, may I have the service department please?"

She began cutting her stack of pancakes with her fork as she waited, further dowsing them with maple syrup.

"Hi there, I'm Cass. I'm Mystic's personal assistant. I have been instructed to pick up his motorcycle this morning. I was calling you to go ahead and make payment arrangements."

"She took a bite of her food while she listened."

She grinned real big.

"I'm so sorry for that. I just took over, and this is not the first time I've heard this, if I'm honest. But I'm here to TCB now," Joy said confidently.

"They've been calling for two weeks," she whispered to me, holding the phone to her chest.

"Okay, thank you, that's no problem. I have to ask these days. Are you willing to accept cash payments? Okay great. Now about a review; who should we mention specifically, or would you rather we just mention the shop in general?"

She paused and nodded her head as if she were having the conversation in person.

"Well, I'll do that. Eric, should I ask for you when I come in?"

She paused again and covered the phone while taking a bite and chewing quickly.

"Great. Thanks for helping Eric. I look forward to meeting you."

She smiled at me, slid her phone back into her purse, then cut her pancakes again and added even more syrup.

"Damn, these are good!"