TWENTY-THREE

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗘

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEmind control

mind control

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

WHEN JULIET WOKE up, she was not in the airplane hangar that she was in before. Her eyes blinked opened to see fluorescent lights and a roof that could be opened. The lab.

Juliet pressed her palms to her forehead and squeezed her eyes shut, her head throbbing. "Oh God."

"You passed out," Joe's voice said.

"Thanks. I could've never figured that out on my own."

"I came as soon as I heard," Barry stated, skidding to a stop inside the lab. He then approached Juliet, staring down at her worryingly as she laid on top of the table, still in her full suit. "What happened?"

"Snart's new partner, he's got this handheld flamethrower," Joe answered. "Everyone got out without any injuries, thanks to Juliet, but she collapsed when Snart and his partner ran off."

Barry placed his hands on either side of Juliet's face. "God, J, I'm so sorry. I should've been there."

"It's okay," Juliet replied. She then lowered her hands from her forehead and used them to slowly push herself up, wincing slightly as she did so. "I used too much energy. When I overexert myself with my powers, I tend to get weaker faster, almost like my body can't keep up with the amount of electricity that I have inside of me." She sighed, and Barry placed a hand on her back, rubbing it softly. "I'm just glad everyone's safe though."

"The next time Snart and his pyro pal show up, I want both of you to make them sorry they ever messed with you," Joe ordered. "Not one or the other. Both the Flash and Scarlet."

Juliet looked up at Barry. His green eyes met hers, giving her the same tingling feeling she always got. He gave her a small nod, signaling that he was in. Juliet nodded back. It was back to the two of them.

Joe slowly left the room, leaving Juliet and Barry alone. Juliet looked down at her hands, suddenly feeling very awkward. She never usually felt awkward around Barry, so it was strange.

"I thought you were training," Barry voiced, breaking the silence. "Trying to learn more about your powers."

Juliet blinked. "I am. I've been trying to understand them, but the more I use them for a prolonged period of time, the weaker I get. Maybe . . . maybe it's, like, a mental block, or something. Or maybe I just have to get my body used to using a lot of my powers at once."