TWENTY-ONE

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗘

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONEgo ahead and watch my heart burn

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
go ahead and watch my heart burn

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

AFTER THE EVENTS of what happened at the football field, Barry had made it his personal mission to keep Juliet in his sight. He had claimed that the man in the yellow suit could show up any moment and he was not going to allow him to take her again. Juliet had insisted that she could handle herself, but when Barry Allen had his mind set on something, he didn't let anyone stop him. She had agreed to let him sleep on the couch in her apartment.

The next morning, the two went back to S.T.A.R. Labs, telling Joe to meet them there. They stood in the cortex in front of Dr. Wells and Joe, explaining everything that had happened. Juliet stood close to Barry, leaning against a desk with her arms crossed across her chest.

"He acted like he knew me, like we'd done this before," Barry stated.

"He was antagonizing you, Barr," Joe replied.

"I — I would get close, and he'd just pull away. He even dodged J's energy blast. I mean, this was just some sick game to him."

"You'll catch him," Dr. Wells reassured Barry. "We'll help."

"No, you don't get it, all right?" Barry argued. "His speed, it is — it's beyond me. I'm not the fastest man alive. He is. I couldn't even stop him from taking Juliet again. So how do we catch somebody that even I can't keep up with?"

"The beautiful thing about force fields, Mr. Allen, is they're impervious to speed. Now, we're almost finished fabricating the trap, and all that remains is for Detective West to procure the bait."

"I'm on it," Joe responded. Barry immediately followed after him. "Barry, why don't you stay here with Jules?"

"No, Joe, today is not the day to tell me to stay behind," Barry said. "J, come on, let's go."

Juliet pushed herself off of the desk. She looked at Joe with wide-eyes before following Barry into the hallway. Barry was staring straight ahead. Juliet could tell every thought that was running through his head.

"It's going to be okay, Barry," she voiced softly as they reached the elevator. "We'll catch him."

Barry hesitated for a moment. "He . . . he took you so fast, J. I can't let that happen again."