Chapter 2

Maleficent got to his feet, shaking as he did so. He wrapped himself in a cloak he fashioned from the moss on the forest floor and reached down to pick up an abandoned twig. In the golden glow of his hands, the twig shifted and grew, turning into a magnificent staff worthy of a powerful sorcerer. 

He breathed out, still feeling the pain in his back, and took a step, trying not to collapse at the burning sensation that nearly overwhelmed his senses. It took but a moment for him to stand tall and turn his heart cold, hoping that he might be able to move on and forget Stephan's cruelty.

He left the grove, remembering a legend that his mother had told him shortly before her death. It was a legend told to all newborn fairies who were born in the Moors. Of a beautiful enchantress who lived in the tallest mountain peak in the Moors, and the wisdom and healing that had been gifted to her by the moon and sun. 

"A fairy born of light and laughter," Maleficent whispered under his breath, turning to look at the mountain peak. "Blessed with kindness and wisdom. Shall live in the Moors until long after. Requested to heal from winter until autumn." 

He shivered and tugged his cloak tighter around his body. There was nowhere else for him to go. Perhaps this enchantress might be powerful enough to give him his wings back, or perhaps even just curse Stephan. 

But now, all that Maleficent sought was the comfort of one of his own. Not one of the fairies that flitted about optimistically, arguing with one another over who got to deliver the morning news, but one more like him. An enchantress. A sorceress.

And so, he made the journey to the mountain, his eyes trained on the peak. As he crossed the wasteland between the ruined castle at the top and the Moors, he heard the cawing of a raven and lifted his eyes to trail the elegant black feathers of the bird. It soared through the sky as Maleficent wished that he could, and he let out a long sigh. 

Deciding to take a short detour, he followed the bird, watching as it gracefully soared through the air. As he followed, he saw the bird land on a small section of dirt amid a field of wheat. The bird had only been there for a moment before a net was suddenly flung over it, hindering its ability to fly. Maleficent's hands went to touch his wings, only to have the grim reminder that they weren't there anymore.

Two dogs and their owner came rushing over, the peasant man laughing at his catch. 

"I've got you," he declared, hopping around like a rabbit. He hopped over to his cart and picked up a long wooden stick. "You wicked bird!" He was about to club the raven over the head, but Maleficent was quicker. 

"Into a man," he whispered. With the familiar golden glow of magic following Maleficent's fingers, the raven suddenly shifted form, steadily growing in size and losing its feathers. 

The human fell back terrified by the sight in front of him. As the raven, now a man, got to his feet, the human rose as well, screaming and shouting that there was a demon in front of him, and ran for the hills. Once the human was gone, Maleficent emerged from the wheat, watching as the newly transformed man took in his new appearance. 

The man suddenly noticed Maleficent approaching and froze. 

"What have you done to my beautiful self," he asked, horrified by his human form.

"Would you rather I let them beat you to death," Maleficent asked, not really in the mood for this ingratitude. 

The former raven looked down at his lack of tail feathers again and frowned. "I'm not certain."

"Stop complaining. I saved your life."

The raven debated for a moment about how to address the subject of his transformation, but eventually lowered his gaze and muttered, "Forgive me."