Introducing my boss to my AD - Angel and Devil

Chapter 11

Rachael's POV.

I was expecting someone similar to Mr Jacob. Middle-aged, maybe between forty to fifty, a patch of hair missing from centre, along with a shrewd face with cunning and accusing eyes. But carrying himself like royalty as if blue blood runs in his veins, as Mr. Jacob used to emphasize to me.

What I was not expecting was an young face staring directly at me with deep ocean blue eyes. What contrasted his eyes was only his hair color. Black. I have not met many Americans with a mix of blue eyes and black hair. Usually they were blond. But somehow this weirdness complimented his already attractive features!

And I was staring at him shamelessly. Appreciating his beauty like a college girl would do for her crush. But I am no student and he could not possibly be my crush.

"He could be your crush. You cannot possibly spend your entire life grieving for losing Daniel! And look he is praising you already. With his eyes I mean." suggested the she-devil sitting on my left shoulder, twirling the red strand of hair falling on her face.

She had a point.

But the sweet sweet angel on my right contradicted the devil-me with another strong point.

"It is not healthy to be involved with your boss. And frankly, Rachael, just ask yourself if you have overcome Daniel yet? It would be unfair to this man if you are still in love with Daniel."

As if to prove her point I could feel the pain creeping slowly in my chest.
I put a hand over my chest. Feeling the effects of hyperventilation seeping through me. My devil and angel became quiet knowing where this could lead. I could say I love my magical couple now for keeping their mouths shut!

"I'm sorry! Did I scare you? I should have knocked but I didn't know if anyone was here."

My boss hurriedly came over to me, concern clearly written on his face.
He was mistaking the Daniel-sudden-show-up-side-effects for him scaring me with a sudden entry. Better to keep him in dark than breaking in front of a stranger. Thanks to my AD (angel and devil)

"It's okay, sir. I was just lost in..." I could not possibly say 'comparing you with my ex-love.' So I ended up saying work.

"Oh. I'm Jason Gales. Are you my assistant?" He asked.

I shook the hand he extended.
The AD couple were still quiet listening intently.

"I'm Rachael. No, I'm not your assistant. Umm... you don't have any assistant." Emphasizing the word 'any'.
I felt bad adding the last line. No the she-devil made me feel that way. I could just see her peeking right above my left shoulder gouging my emotions and deciding whether I was stable enough to take their tantrums yet. She was trying to patch me up with my drool-worthy boss. I could not blame her, anyone normal would have given him a chance. But I was not normal. I was something far from it. Someone with a broken past and a future even unknown to herself. I could not drag someone in the whirlpool I was in. It would be selfish.
"Human are selfish. And you are human, no angel" Added the devil, giving a dirty look to my angel who had her lips sealed tightly.

"Why is that I don't have any assistant? Aren't anyone on work today?" He asked me, confusion clouding his perfect face.

"Didn't Mrs. Carvel debrief you on the job?" I asked confused myself as to why he has zero knowledge on Mrs. Carvel's way of running business. Surely she at least gave him an idea.

"Or maybe it is the money that lured him in this tiny town without any excitement?" Suggested the she-devil, daring to comment so soon. It was so like her. Lapping at his beauty sometime ago and going against him in an instant.